high end cyberlight

Lozza

hi guys, just an opportunity for anyone that has used high end cyberlight scanners to express your opinions on them...

I just got back off the Grand Princess ship where their rig consisted of 20 of the units

they let me have a play... I found them pretty expandable, powerful and fun!

cheers

I started the mentioned thread (I still have some issues but other things are taking a priority at the moment!)

my opinion of them now is that they're a great fixture, very usable, would be great on land.... on the ocean waves the vibrations of the sea kill them!

as John says, they are very big and heavy, very hard to get off the rig (especially when the majority of the bar's don't fly in!)

would be great on land.... on the ocean waves the vibrations of the sea kill them!

Have to disagree there. I was on Grand Princess during the installation back in 1998/99, I then worked that ship for a couple of years, I never had one issue with the Cybers, they were actually the most reliable fixture onboard. Being a new build we had all sorts of issues including power and data surges, not once did one go down. Now the Studio Colors were a different matter altogether. As far as I am aware most of the Cybers on the Grand are the original fixtures, That makes them 8 years old and they are used 7 days a week 365 days a year, I would say that makes them pretty reliable.

Saying that if you don't look after them, like anything they'll go bad.

Big and heavy yes, but optically incredible fixtures and optics aint light weight.

Regards

Andy

well said andy, couldn't agree more... I envy your experiance of being around when the grand was built, the theatre is fantastic - you must have had some good times on the vessel. The Star princess is the grands sister only younger and the theatre is vertualy identical. the sea princess is quite different though, still good, I just realy like the rig in the princess theatre

Are you still on a ship, if so, I would love to know which one!

cheers - laurence

The Star princess is the grands sister only younger and the theatre is vertualy identical. the sea princess is quite different though, still good, I just realy like the rig in the princess theatre

The Grand is actually one of three identical sister ships, these being Grand Princess, followed by Golden Princess, followed by Star Princess, Grand Princess at the time of its launch was the largest passenger vessel ever built, and had one of the most technologically advanced theatres ever built anywhere, let alone at sea. These ships in size and technical specifications have been superceded by a long way now.

Are you still on a ship, if so, I would love to know which one!

No I got off of ships a quite a few years ago now. The Grand was my last one. I started getting bored. The Grand was a great ship and I left on a high before I started getting so bored I hated it.

Regards

Andy

hi guys, just an opportunity for anyone that has used high end cyberlight scanners to express your opinions on them...

I just got back off the Grand Princess ship where their rig consisted of 20 of the units

they let me have a play... I found them pretty expandable, powerful and fun!

cheers

I was using them back in '95 on a Carnival ship and thought they were a great piece of kit with great light output compared to a lot of moving mirror lamps.

Do agree about the size and weight though, popped a rib dropping one in once!

We've got an IQ moving mirror on an SL in a show at the moment very retro! And very light!!

We run six cybers in our hire stock. Very Big, very heavy, but lovely fixtures.

Really nice fat beam, large mirror.

We've not found them the easiest to strip down but mercifully we haven't needed to that often.

Great being able to stand them on end - work great this way and no hernier rigging them. Downside - need to replace the mains cable periodically as it tends to wear at the point at which it enters the fixture (we found this out the hard way)

The colour mixing might not be as pure as some modern fixtures, the uneven colour mix the flags produce works brilliantly with the lithos enabling you to create almost 3D effects (whack in a dot breakup and you can get the dots to look almost spherical)

Common gripe is the prism. Being a zoom fixture with the prism deep inside the fixture you cant create a wide spread prism effect like you get from Clay Paky fixtures, and it doesn't rotate. Solution is bassically use four times as many Cybers (wahey) - ok ok

Electronic balast (weight) would have transformed the cyber - What do they do in TV studios. They used a lot of cybers on the origional 'Robot Wars' in the UK (BBC). magnetic ballast cause TV cameras flicker issues so guess they must have replaced all the ballasts. Anybody know?

Noisey - get the SV version, or get the Turbo and enjoy the brightness/noise tradeoff

Wish HES would put an x.Spot in Cyber - mirrors still rock (fast).

Heads are great but long live wiggly mirrors - how else to technicians do their makup.

T.D.

Archived