Tornado Effect

ptheboris

Hi folks

Bit of a puzzler that a couple of us are mulling over. We are shortly doing the Wiz and need to create a a tornado lighting effect without using movers or props. The aim is to light the auditorium and not the stage too much due to the scene change that is taking place at the same time.

Ideas so far include using a mirrorball but we don't think we can get a high enough speed and the light spill is large. Any suggestions would be welcome.

FYI. Venue is about 10m in width by 12 in length (not counting stage). There are three FOH bars down the middle with two on the side so plenty of places to put things.

regards

Paul

If your lighting the auditorium more and not the stage it might be that you could use some strobing which is bouncing from the auditorium roof. A few small strobes at different intervals might produce the lightning part. Also it may be you have certain washes of lights (as uplighters/downligters, light spread across walls and ceilings) that on a high and well programmed step chase could create a great a flicker affect, dipping to no light and flashing to full intensity. I'm guessing your going to have a right sound effects at the same time? This will define the lighting.

Thanks for this Grid Girl. I had tried the search function but nothing came up with the terms I used. Wizard of Oz tornado was obviously the correct one.

Paul

Mods - feel free to close this if you want as I will be able to find some answers from the link provided.

Archived