Dry Ice and Frog smoke

I'm assuming you mean "Fog" rather than "frog" ......

I will answer because I'm in a good mood - but please use the search function in future, or even just a quick google will tell you the answer!

Very simply - Dry Ice is frozen CO2, which when placed in hot/boiling water forms a low smoke effect.

Fog or smoke tends to refer to either a water or mineral based fluid which is heated and then pumped out from a machine to produce a haze/smoke effect in the air.

The amount of smoke in the air or dry ice on the floor depends upon the machine, the settings, the size of the theatre, the air-conditioning, the heat from lanterns etc. etc. etc.

There are also machines that produce low level fog - which is basically a smoke machine which then has the smoke cooled which causes the 'smoke' to drop towards the floor. The quality of this effect varies from machine to machine.

don't forget - the use of these machines requires a risk assessment........

Do you get that by burning a frog

By "frog" do you mean a small animal that makes noise at night, or a well known type of lighting desk. I am certain that the smoke qualities of each would be different, as would the running costs; toasting a the metallic version nightly will put a dent in the budget :(

Yes frogs seem to produce a very dark and green coloured smoke, especially after they've been in a micrrwave for 2 minutes!! Perhaps you could try this and use a pump and a funnel to pump the smoke onto your stage, you may need to add some essence as the smell can only be described as burning frog!!

Archived