Wiring unwired lighting bars

Jamtastic3

Hello,

I'm interested in some IWB's and saw this unwired bar from Terralec...

http://www.terralec.com/prod.asp?I=17474&a...ED_LIGHTING_BAR

Now, what I don't understand is the wiring process. So is it possible for me to wire a lighting bar up (by good instructions)? I know how to wire a plug/deal with connections, but this obviously is more than that and seems a little confusing (putting the cable in the bar, dealing with connections, dealing with the socapex end)

Thankoo!

if you feel confident wiring any mains type hardware, the doing an IWB isn't really much different, apart from the fact that they are fiddly to do, you always end up with one end slipping back down the hole and having to fish it again, wiring socapex sockets is awkward the first time, etc etc.

The main issues are making sure that sharp edges are cleaned up properly, and you have the correct kit. Soldering the cable to the socapex isn't too troublesome as long as you start in the centre and work outwards. Heat shrink sleeving is useful, or hellerman sleeving if you have the proper lubricant and tool. If you use heat shrink, you have to remember to do each circle as you complete it, doing it all in one go isn't very effective. Other things to watch are proper labelling of the internal cabling, using labels that won't pull off as you tug the cables. Long lengths first is obvious, once you try it the other way! What kind of connection for the sockets? There are some nice clamp round plastic types now, or will you be 'bodging' BS socket boxes? Using cable drop ends is fine, but the internal core of typical TRS on the other side of the gland are much more 'bendy' than installation type solid cores, making the threading process more awkward.

If you have time on your hands and are capable of doing it safely, then I'd say go for it. By the time you are on your 4th or 5th, you'll be quite good! If you have little time, patience, or skill - give it a miss and buy them!

... or will you be 'bodging' BS socket boxes?

I might mention that your local tire and exhaust joint (as well as Halfords) sell 1 and 7/8ths inch exhaust pipe clamps, add a small metal plate and mounting a metalclad socket becomes almost easy :o

hi I have some iwb complete with sockets and all wiring complete for sale at little more than the one you are thiking of purchasing, if thats of any help or you just want some sockets designed to fit real easy onto tube then please contact me on 0781 3355507

many thanks

Archived