mac 250's

ibwats

hi all

our school has it's dance party comming up. the hall that it's in has some nice side bars, that are quite low to the ground (3m or so) and if we rigged lights off them it might look pretty cool. I was wondering if mac 250's would work sideways. or would they just not work,

if anyone has tried this, or heard about it working/or not working I'd love to hear about it.

also if anyone has any good ideas/ efffects that they've used at dance parties that look really good I'd also love to know, as these parties all seem to be the same.

the equipment that we get is

8 mac 250's

2 atomic 3000's

2 24 inch mirror balls,

and we can possibly get some par 56's from the drama centre.

(about 500 people)

thanks.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm assuming you mean vertical bars:

As far as I know, you should be fine mounting them on their sides. However, it has been mentioned to me that you cannot use the two piece bracket (you have to use the single plate type). Not sure if this is true or not.

This may be incorrect. Are you hiring them? If so, I'd ask the hire co.

You will also want C clamps/ truss clamps - you cant use standard hook clamps in that orienatation.

As James says, there is no problem using MAC 250's in a sideways configuration provided that they are mounted safely and securely. Are you sure the bars can take the weight? Have the bars been load tested?

As far as getting good effects are concerned, you will need to control all your lights from a suitable desk, and it is the programming of this which makes all the difference. Most modern desks have a shape / chase generator, and you need to use this in combination with your movers to get good, coordinated effects. Unless someone has pre-programmed the desk, allow plenty of time for programming!

You don't mention smoke - a smoke machine or a haze generator will show the light beams up and make them more effective, but use in moderation.

You also don't mention u/v lights - always a good effect, and much cheaper than hiring movers.

Finally, don't forget to post warning notices at the entrance to your event if using smoke or strobes.

Good luck!

Used Mac 250E's a while ago (along with some VL1000TS's) hung sideways from bits of truss in the way you describe. Only thing is thats its quite a pain to actually attach them, takes 2 people and I would definitely recommend some doughty half couplers bolted to the hanging plates (as opposed to the regular hook clamps) Mega Claws also work well.

Makes much better use of the fixture IMO. Its more visible, closer to the audience and has a much better field of movement.

But definitely a pain to rig....

Just make sure that they are rigged nice and tight.

I've done this a few times and found that with the movement of the fixture, and vibration from the fans etc that they slip down the bar (using half couplers) if not done up tightly.

Get out the trusty AJ and keep tightening untill you think its tight. Then do another turn.

Just my 2p

As long as the bars are strong enough to support the weight you should be fine, but yes they are a major pain to rig. You'd be best off attaching two ropes (one on either side of the unit) and get someone to pull the light up to the correct height. You can then attach the light to the bar without having to take the weight. Has worked for me in the past. The 250s are comparatively light (with respect to the mac500 and other similar units) so you shouldn't have too much trouble. Just make sure you plan how you are going to do it. Also don't forget safety bonds. If you are rigging on a side bar you will need something like steel cable to wrap through the unit to secure it to a horizontal bar in your grid.

Have you thought about putting a couple of mac 250s on their flight cases at the back of the stage / area you are lighting? If they are not in the way of punters and are safe from drink spillages/ tampering they can look really good, especially if you have two in the grid and then two at the sides.

Would definitely recommend a haze machine to highlight the beams, and if you are looking for a lighting desk you'd be best off with an Avolites Pearl which can get a moving light show up and running in minutes. The manual is very self explanatory if you haven't used it before but allow plenty of time for programming.

O, and if you can get some pin spots for your mirror balls that will really help! A mirror ball with no light focussed on it is pretty pointless! Yes you can use the mac 250s but you will never get the iris small enough and will be left with big unsightly blobs of light on the wall.

O, and if you can get some pin spots for your mirror balls that will really help! A mirror ball with no light focussed on it is pretty pointless! Yes you can use the mac 250s but you will never get the iris small enough and will be left with big unsightly blobs of light on the wall.

especially as the 250 series doesn't have an iris!

I've done this a few times and found that with the movement of the fixture, and vibration from the fans etc that they slip down the bar (using half couplers) if not done up tightly.

Get out the trusty AJ and keep tightening untill you think its tight. Then do another turn.

Another trick is to use a loose c-clamp mounted directly to the pipe, below the fixture clamp, that acts as a slip-stop.

-w

especially as the 250 series doesn't have an iris!

Very good point! I'm thinking of the decentered beam gobo which gives you a smaller spot, but its still not ideal!

Another trick is to use a loose c-clamp mounted directly to the pipe, below the fixture clamp, that acts as a slip-stop.

-w

Loose, or spare?

Methinks you mean "spare".... :P

Both; loose, as in "not attached to a fixture". But it certainly reads a little oxymoronic... :off:

hi all

thanks heaps for all your responses

it appears that yes we will try to rig them sideways for the next dance.

somone mentioned UV, I agree that this would be an awsome idea, do u know what the easiest + cheapest way to get these would be??

about smoke/haze, our school recnetly installed new fire alarms that are super sensative (smoke machies set them off). the teacher who organises these dances says that we aren't allowed to turn them off, it's a really pain in the bum because for the last dance a guy turned up with some pretty nice lazers, but becasue we couldn't have smoke/haze we coudln't use them. if anyone knows any sorts of smoke machines, fluid or dry ice, that might not set the alarms off, I'd love to know.

thanks for all the replies

if anyone knows any sorts of smoke machines, fluid or dry ice, that might not set the alarms off, I'd love to know.
I'm afraid that such a thing is impossible.

If the smoke detectors cannot be turned off or switched over to "heat" mode due to local fire regs, then you're stuck with no smoke.

Archived