AV to PC

peter

there is this thing by hauppage I think, called win tv PVR, you connect it to your scrate and then to your laptop by usb.... you can get loads of them, its for video editing, pinnacle dpo  some usb donlges, you just use the composite output on that and connect it to the dongle.

as regarding the tv license thing, as you have a reply from an actual rep, I'd say I agree, a laptop is fine, as long as you have to actual way of viewing tv on it, all your doing is watching a dvd, so they cant bust you for that... if they did, it would be stingy.

my boss has a telly, but he hasnt got a proper ariel installed by his landlord, so he dont pay for a license, and all he does is connect his pc to it and watches dvd's and video's that have been recorded at my house :) (easy way to get round it, please inform me if that is illegal, to record videos then play them back, technically your not watching it "live")

matt.

Hate to spoil idea's...

I am a former owner of a Hauppauge Wintv.. module.

Regards your debate on television licences. If your hauppauge wintv is switched on then regardless of if it has an ariel attatched or not, this equipment will recieve television signals. The fact that no picture shows due to no arial is no indication of the signal not being recieved. I believe at this point that a signal input is far to weak to form sound or picture, hence the need to connect an ariel to further detect a stronger reception. Weak or strong signal... means a signal is recieved by your wintv module.... therefore you should have a tv licence... unless your particular one has no internal tv tuner within it. that is (within your Hauppauge wintv unit!)

An external USB DVD player might be a safer option

http://www.allcam.biz/products/usbdvdr.html

hope this helps!

This is about 5 years out of date, but I've always remembered. A rep from the Radio Investigation Service was giving a talk about how they dealt with pirate radio - he explained how they DF the transmitter from various locations, draw lines on a map and then go and find it! Somebody asked him about the legal position on TV licences. He said he wasn't a legal expert, but when the DTI, as was, wanted to prosecute, he would sit outside the premises and use his equipment to 'listen' for the local oscillator in the TV tuner. If he could pick it up - a "television receiver" was in operation and a bang on the door followed.

Assuming the same test of guilt is used today - having a TV turned off, wouldn't register on the equipment, so just having it in your possession (which is my understanding of breaking the law) on its own isn't enough to go to court with - but having it powered up in your house is - whatever gadget the receiver is built in to.

You don't have to buy a TV license if you are not going to watch TV. It is perfectly legitimate to have a TV card or even a Television in room without using them to watch TV.

Really? I'd always understood it as if you had any equipment capable of receiving a TV signal then you had to pay the licence fee. Obviously as a student I don't want to be landed with a £1k fine for not watching TV.

One more idea: maybe you can find somewhere one old monitor wich was used for Amiga or Commodore or similar computers. Actually I am using Commodore 1084S video monitor which I bought with Amiga 2000 computer. It is a 14" with composite input and really really nice picture. And it has cost me less than 30 pounds.

Sorry on my bad english.

Viktor

Archived