sound lab powered mixer quality

Dave Dix

Are these cheap mixers of reasonable quality? or cheap ROC junkers?

I was thinking of purchasing a soundlab mp12 1200 watt powered desk for smaller venues for my 3 piece band but £264 seems rather cheap price for the specs stated, anyone had any experience with them?

thanks

Dave

Are these cheap mixers of reasonable quality? or cheap ROC junkers?

I was thinking of purchasing a soundlab mp12 1200 watt powered desk for smaller venues for my 3 piece band but £264 seems rather cheap price for the specs stated, anyone had any experience with them?

thanks

Dave

Some one went against our recommendation of a soundcraft spirit powerstation & bought a soundlab powered mixer - after minimal use it went bang!

Andi

• 4 weeks later...

A colleague of mine used to work for the company that brings Skytec products to the market. Skytec, like Soundlab, are brands owned by big distribution companies who source products in the far east (most notably the PROC) and get them badged up and imported. My colleague once remarked that the one thing that they could never find in China was a decent, reliable mixer, even when its quite possible to source a pretty decent (if obviously knock off and therefore potentially legally unsound) product for any other application such as loudspeakers and mics.

I'd imagine that the Soundlab item is therefore sub par, by any normal measure of what you'd expect from a product that you purchase new. The amplifier inside perhaps doubles the problem, as no doubt the amp will be pretty horrid too. ;)

Basically, as others have clearly said, you'd be well advised to stay clear, and try and locate a 2nd hand Yamaha EMX (any of the range is good, and the 212/ 312/ 512's are as light as a feather). With you luck you may find one within your budget.

Hope this helps

Rob :P

Hi All

You would be far better sticking with the qulity brands such as Soundcraft or Allen & Heath although these are alot more expensive, you could allways buy second hand, check out the auction sites and your bound to pick up a right bargin!!!

I bought an old A&H 26 channal desk of off one of the leading auction site (you know the one) for the princly sum of £25.00

allthough it needed some miner attention and a good clean its now a lovely piece of kit. ;)

Archived