Ringing mics on the BBC

Guest lightnix

Guest lightnix

I've noticed several instances of ringing microphones ;) on BBC shows recently, particularly Have I Got News For You and Jonathon Ross.

I nudged a fairly senior BBC Sound Engineer about it the other day. In short, he said it was largely due to the increase in the volume of studio PA systems in recent years, at the request of many Prod Co's, particularly those making comedy shows.

He went on to explain that they are paranoid about studio audiences not being able to hear the comedy properly, thereby missing the jokes and not laughing as a result. As any fule kno, all comedy programmes made for and shown by the BBC are hilariously funny and if people don't laugh it's because the sound isn't loud enough and they can't hear it. No other possible reason.

Any thoughts / comments ?

I thought that all laughter was canned anyways.

Me too - I remember being told many moons ago that about the most expensive sound effect you could get hold of was BBC's professional-use canned laughter, because it was so effective. Any truth in this?

Guest lightnix

On some shows maybe, but the two I've mentioned and others I've spotted have been shot before a live audience.

I have heard of occasions where a little laughter or applause is fed to the audience to help get them going.

I thought that all laughter was canned anyways.

Never on any of the radio comedy shows I've worked on in my pre BBC days-

I've also been told on another occasion that it isn't BBC policy to use canned laughter for any of it's Studio Comedy.

It is probably then true that the BBC Laughter Sound Effect is Very Expensive.

1 Get a bigger Studio

2 Provide Seating

3 Employ FOH Staff - Ticket Distribution Staff, and Security Staff.

4 Provide Video Feeds and Audio Feeds of VT sections to the Audience.

Much more than a few hundread quid for a CD for every show.

Archived