Need Mic Advice

lpenrod

We are taping staff meetings in a small theatre that seats about 150 people. Wood stage is about 2 feet high, 25 feet wide and 10 feet deep. We are taping from the front row with a camcorder. Video is fine, but audio is awful. Currently mic is attached to camera. People on stage refuse to hold a mic and they move all around the stage. There is frequent laughing and applause. Basically my problem is that the people on stage are too quiet and the audience is too loud. I don't mind buying some mics, but I have no idea what I should get. Is there something that would be more directional?? Don't know where to begin.

Larry

I guess it depends a bit on what you want to achieve. Do you just want to record sound from whoever is on camera or do you need everyone in the mix.

For the former I'd suggest a good shotgun mic mounted on the camera or held (and pointed) by an assistant. If the speaker are behind tables then a few PZM (pressure zone) mics placed on the tables will do a good job of picking up the speakers. I suspect that what you need is a sound mixer constantly riding the mic levels. Go for lots of mics covering the stage so that you can isolate areas. If you need to record audience reaction then give them a mic or two as well which can be faded up at the right point.

Rather than buy, I'd suggest you hire to start with until you know what works in your situation.

I primarily want to record the speakers. They walk around the stage. They do not stand behind anything.

The recordings are primarily of monthly staff meetings to be streamed (not live) on the web for people who were unable to attend.

I am able to buy a few mics and stands, but I doubt that I will be allowed to buy mixers, etc...

Archived