Reading and Leeds

the kid

Just watching Reading on BBC3 with the Artic Monkeys. What are those 4/5 lights at the back they look like big film/tv lights but they also looked to be strobing and changing colors.

Any one see Mike Skinner and his diamond in-ear monitors?

As well as this, does anyone know how they're lighting the 9 large vertical tubes across the back of the stage?

I can't see the fixtures, just a beam of light out of the top, as it from the roof, but it seems quite a wide (in terms of actual diameter) but narrow (in terms of angle) beam, which they have strobing and colour changing.

Edit; Have just seen how it's done, with 2 movers (look like large mac washes, possibly 700s if they're there) about 2 feet apart pointing up at about 60 degrees from the floor.

Also, I don't know if it is just my TV and speakers, but at the moment with Muse on, I can hear the music really well, but the vocals seem really quiet compared to the instruments on most of the songs, and I'm having to have it turned up really loud in order to hear the lyrics.

Muse sounded fine last night in terms of vocal balance, though I had it on really quite loud anyway. Sounded exactly as they always do. Then again, I've never heard Muse quietly :D. Strange. Also, their set last night was 99% identical to their set in Edinburgh on Thursday. The actual set (oh dear, confusing....talking about the stuff on the stage now) was also identical other than the suspended LED panels. They were left out on thursday for whatever reason. Was interesting seeing it live and then on TV.

Re the Artic Monkeys lights-

they are old 10ks that have had the guts ripped out and led blocks and strobes put in them (no great surprise) by Siyan who are providing for them.

Hope this helps!!

Andy Mel

(presently sat at dimmers in the carling tent for siyan and suitably bored!!!)

Pretty damn impressed with the muse tech at Reading last night - was quite spectacular to watch! Could have done with being louder in my opinion, but then again I am half deaf and was quite far back from the stage. The LED screens and DL1s being lit up and projected on at the same looked incredible!

Slightly off topic maybe, but anyone know what the piano was? It looked like a kawai upright, but I could have sworn I heard some synth sounds coming out of it (e.g. the electric piano at the beginning of feeling good?)

No I realise there was a synth player there as well somewhere, but I could have sworn that when Mr. Bellamy was playing his kawai upright for feeling good it sounded like an E.P. Maybe just because he was playing it very softly...

WRT the 9 Muse vertical columns... each tube had 3 units at floor level pointing up... a Martin Atomic Strobe, a High End Systems Studio Command and a CO2 Jet for instant smoke.

Hope this helps

It's an electronic keyboard in a dummy upright housing. I'll check on the exact make if anyone is really interested.

MUSE brought in 5 x 2m x 2m versapanels as well as 5 more DL2's for Reading / Leeds. Oh yes and a motorized beam motor system. Enough extra gear for one night!

Thats in addition to your good self and the Muse festivals touring package - the spring tubes and the studio commands and floor mounted DL2s and Versatiles which added to the house festival system at both Reading and Leeds.

just for those who are interested.

F.

Archived