High (ish) profile bands

Simon MFR

Im putting on a series of live music events towards the end of the year aimed specifically at 13-18 year olds. I've had to employ 15 more staff, and blag several local companies for sponsorship etc, so far so good as they say....I would really like a well-known rock act to perform, as it is the launch party and it would be nice to kick start the monthly gigs with a bang.

Getting hold of a band isnt a problem, got the right networks etc etc....just want to know if anyone has RECENTLY worked with a band that someone aged 13-18 would 'associate' with? How much should I expect to pay....etc etc.....

I've worked and talked with a few bands around the age-group you talk about. Most of the bands I have spoken to arn't really interested in the money. They just want gigs so people can see them and possibly get their name etc. So you might find some bands who are just interested in getting seen.

The sort of bands that you may be looking for might be willing to do it for very little, however their representation/record labels won't be so happy with it. The sort of money you should be paying would somewhere between £12k to £22k depending on the artists for about a 45 minute set. You could get whatever dance act was flaovour of the charts at the time, and you should expect to pay somewhere in the region of £4k to £6k for a 2 or 3 song personal appearance.

Your biggest chance is to find an up and coming band who may or maynot make it big around the time of your event, if you get it right you can be only paying £500 to £1000, the only problem with these particular "nearly made it" artists is they can be so far up their own arses that they can see the backs of their teeth.

Slim...

Fully agree with slim about some nearly made it.

You often find that people that step into a named act that have been touring years are the ones that are the worst where as the original artists that have donethe hard work are more down to earth.

Its a pity you dont want a named act from the 60'[s 70's or 80's as you can pick alot of those up for under £1000 and most are under £2000

they then to be so far up their own arses that they can see the backs of their teeth.

true that...ive worked with several artists in the past, most of which still have not "made it" im trying hard not to typecast....would be nice to have a well-known act for the event launch....I did expect to pay around 10k + for them....just hope my partners are willing to front the cash!!!

distinctly recall one artist who never made it, was trying to be the next Daniel Bedding-Field (as if 1 wasn't 1 too many). To quote my faverate poster "I try to see his point of view but simply can't can't get my head that far up!" His agent asured us he'd be in the chart next month. oh no he wasn't.

Name=expensive. pretty well sums it up. A few years ago we were looking for a piece of music to use for a music exam nationally. Had to be something well known. The one suitable we really wanted was (oops, can't actually say it...) but it was a 'greeting' sung and written by an american with the initial LR. If you really want to know, PM me and I'll say hello.

The record company wanted a fortune, far more than we could afford - a friend of a friend asked him directly, explaining the problem - £10 later (to actually say it had been paid for) we got the rights with his blessing - he was very pleased people wanted to use his music.

This probably makes a chart topper (or even tickler) too expensive. I have seen people put on a tribute - and for younger kids these go down really well. A bit old now, but I've seen steps, take that, oasis, queen, beatles and loads of radio 1 stuff advertised in the stage - the kids'll scream whatever!

G'day

I have no contact details for them but a really good cover band to watch out for a called Huge, used them a few years back, and they were brilliant, party music all night long!

ta

Tank

distinctly recall one artist who never made it, was trying to be the next Daniel Bedding-Field (as if 1 wasn't 1 too many). His agent asured us he'd be in the chart next month. oh no he wasn't.

Well, I can go one better than that.... We've got the real Daniel Beddingfield here tonight on the main stage at Greenbelt Festival. I'm tucked up nice and warm, rigging and LD in the Centaur arena though (tea on tap kinda thing!). May have to pop out and see if the real thing has his head that far up his bottom (ability to taste one's own toothpaste). I very much doubt it!

Emlyn

It can depend on a lot of things, act prices change and to some extent it depends how you book them. Many up and coming acts just breaking with a bit of airplay and hiting NME are keen to play the right sort of gig and you can get the right price. There are 1000s of bands that have not got on the ladder at all but play good music who will play for exposure, and some people who have big egos and bills but little else.

One thing to bear in mind if you want a "Name" to attract an audience is to ask for ticket sales for the last x number of gigs, and to check with the promotors of those gigs. It is no good booking a band who used to draw 10,000 but have only pulled in 2,000 for the last 30 gigs if you are paying for an act that draws 10,000!

I seem to remember they were in the region of £1000-£2000.

That's a relatively big region!

Simon - a brief trip into the dark wld of the "pro" band booking business: :blink:

The problem you have is that venues/promoters that put on bands on a regular basis will be run by, or employ, people that have already spent a lot of time in the industry, and so will have built up a good level of trust with the agents. This will let them do deals along he lines of "If you have Band A who are not going to sell a lot, but need this date to fill out the tour; then, you can have band B who would normally play at much larger venues but could do yours as a warm up."

The agent also wants to know that the promoter is able to sort out their end of the contract, and will do a good job looking after the band. ( Agents who consistently book bands into cr@p gigs venues will not keep the band)

The bigger names will have been promised to the venues or people that put on lots of gigs . So unless you are verrrrrrry lucky you will not get one, at a good price.

I would suggest that you talk to the local bookers that do well, & try to interest them in your gig. However, I would not suggest that you trust them!

You stand a much better chance of getting your high(ish) profile band next year, after you have proved to the agents that you can do your part of the deal. :) Much in the same way that your Lights & PA companies will give you a special deal after a year, not at the start of your first year!

Edit.

Why not find a band that you know can do a good job and get the audiance going, but cost much less because they are not so well known. If there is mony to spend on your part, then make the event free! That has worked for me in the past for opening events.

Archived