Teaching a new crew, and keeping them interested.

Light a bunsen?!? We should be so lucky! In my experience (Secondary school), students (not even sensible students at a gifted and talented GCSE extra-curricular group) aren't even allowed into a lab without a teacher/Lab tech.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I work in a school as Science and Audio-Visual Technician. Pupils are not allowed to enter labs unless their teacher is present. I've evicted quite a few, normally without fuss. Damage to water taps is the main problem arising from unsupervised access.

I think not letting kids in labs is a good idea with the ready supply of gas, fire and water... I konw that 95% of our year group could have been trusted, but I'm not so sure about the remainder... I guess I feel that for things like lighting, only those that are actually interested ever get involvced, so you tend not to get the completely irresponsible jokers around, but I guess there's always an exception.

and as for water taps, I think ours were more likely to damage us - some bright spark decided to have taps that turned the opposite way to every other tap I've ever met, so invariably every time you tried to turn it off you got completely drenched and/or got whatever horrible specimin of rank stuff that was in the sink thrown up at you... mmm... so get that's all over...

Damage to water taps is the main problem arising from unsupervised access.

Damage to water taps??????

Lab taps stand up about a foot above the bench. They get bent when small boys bend them. The bending then causes the connection to the mains to fail and we have floods. This is commonplace. The nozzles also get stolen: one lab has five out of eight missing right now.

Gas taps get twisted round too. We then have to pay a fitter to repair them and the gas cannot be used until he has done so.

Archived