Speaker Hanging

Edd92

Hey all just a small amount of help needed basicly my company and I have just aquired some trussing and I was wondering does anyone know anyway of ceaply hanging speakers fromm trussing baring iin mnd that the speakers are only small cheers,

ed

There very simple SkyTec Speakers Designed for being put on stands but because of discos and a stage job coming up in which we are puting The truss directly above the stage I was wanting to hang them there they hav not sort of haning bracket on them or anythign to direnctly atach a bracket to.

Thanks for the help so far

Edd

So to translate:

They are very simple SkyTec speakers, designed for stand mounting. Because of discos and a stage job coming up in which we are putting the truss directly above the stage, I was wanting to hang them upon said truss. They have no sort of hanging bracket on them or anything to directly attach a bracket to.

In which case I would suggest that:

1) "They are designed for being put on stands" Would tend to suggest that is their main purpose.

2) If you're asking about hanging speakers, but are competent enough to hang truss, there is something mildly alarming.

3) The absence of any kind of hanging bracket or mount would probably take you back to 1).

PS: Am I the only person who still has the spell check facility?

Have somebody who knows how to, make you a bracket for them.

Umm... bit of a can of worms there really. You need to make sure they will test the brackets (or have them tested) to the appropriate standards etc... I would probably suggest stearing clear of it if possible. Chances are your brackets will be cheap and illegal, or far too expensive to be worth it.

Hello Edd92. Your not involved with EandTlighting are you?

Flying speakers. Are they designed with Pan handles, eyebolt points or L Track style flying mounts or other rigging points designed specifically for the suspension of the cabinet? If not then they need a specifically rated and tested flying frame. Don't have on of those? Then don't do it. Especially if you don't have any PLI (Public Liability Insurance).

Also you need to factor the length of truss and it's SWL over the span you have, the ability of the stands to support the load and then the way that you will prevent it being knocked over.

I'd suggest putting them on the stands as they were designed for.

Some speakers have hanging points that have restrictions. Some have what appear to be hanging points on 8 or 10mm points - but the manual specifies them as pullback points. Things like SX300 EVs have top and bottom threads designed to go into their purpose made hanging bracket. Even some makes with aeroquip or other 'proper' mounts put warnings in their manuals. Our friends Thomann have a great active cab with hanging points all over them, but attach a sticker saying do not suspend from these hanging points???

With cheaper loudspeakers the internal construction may also be a bit suspect. Sockets on the bottom are structurally sound - the weight of the cab and components is going in the right direction. I took down an old cab that had been flown from the top panel in our theatre about 15 years ago. Nasty thing with ESS as the brand. Not worked in years. Somebody had screwed 4 bolt hasp loops to the top, and hung on some 5mm steel wire. When I skipped them, I noticed the top was loose, ripping the carpet off I found the top panel was stapled on! 3/4" chipboard construction, with long staples. All the weight of the cab and speakers inside hanging from these for years! At least a 4-5mm gap, all the way around, using the carpet as the only thing preventing them falling.

Hanging things above peoples heads takes care, attention and correct design. Bodges may well work - but can you guarantee them?

Guest lightnix
...how did you know I was from e and t lighting and audio...

Ummm... because you're using their logo as an avatar? :angry:

Seriously though (because you're scaring me), can I just refer you to the advice given to your colleague in another thread and recommend you follow it as well :)

If you're getting into truss hire, then presumably you've familiarised yourselves with LOLER.

Na I agree thanks very much for your help guys I must ask tho how did you know I was from e and t lighting and audio

Regards

Edd

Horrific spelling and punctuation, TXT speak in posts and a young and enthusiastic attitude, but with a lack of understanding of the potential consequences of some of your actions. I hadn't spotted the Avatar logo though.

As I said earlier in the other posts, it's great your enthusiastic, but please please start to look into how what you do can cause problems and understand your legal obligations.

Thanks for the warning but I am well aware of it all. But it would appear that as I am only 14 you think that I dont know anything about this! am I right ?

Edd

Also like my college said how about not taking the Mic out of me and trying to help me like only maybe 1 or 2 actually have!

C'mon, chaps, let's keep this on topic, rather than getting into petty arguments.

The posts from paulears (and many others) were spot on. If they ain't designed to be flown, then don't fly them. End of story.

NO.

Personally I don't care about your age,

but saying does anyone know anyway of ceaply(sic) hanging speakers fromm(sic) trussing baring iin(sic) mnd(sic) that the speakers are only small cheers demonstrates that you are unsafe and unreliable.

Rigging questions are difficult because often if you have to ask you shouldn't be doing. If you were saying something like..

We are using a pair of SX300 speakers flown using MB200 and MB300 brackets off dead hung Penn ST25 truss. The manufacturers guidelines for MB200/300 brackets recommend methods of suspension but not methods of lifting into position. We are considering building a tower and lifting the whole assembly stage by stage into position; Building the array at the top of the tower or lifting the array with a hoist and securing at height. Has anyone used these elements in this configuration before off dead hung truss and if so how did you lift the array into position?

Something like that would demonstrate you understood the basic concepts involved, you had done research and were working to manufacturers recommendations and guidelines and were after creative solutions to a problem. Points like SLW and UDL almost don't warrant mentioning other than to demonstrate you understand them and are working withing them. Let alone LOLER and PLI

Archived