35mm Projection things

dbuckley

There is some difference in look between a film we see in theatre and a video shot at home.

Yes, there certainly is "some difference".

One of the fun things I do is show 35mm movies, and I gotta admit, every time I start the presentation looking out the porthole at that big bright sharp image I do go "wow".

http://www.davidbuckley.name/pix/proj.jpg

You do know that you don't need those nitrate spool boxes these days, 6000ft C/O is so much more convenient most of the time?

Mind you that is one cool projection room, is there a separated rewind room?

Please tell me that those old Westars have had xenon fitted? I have a horrible feeling from that picture that they may still be carbon arc?

Just curious.

Regards, Dan (Sometime relief operator, pair of Westrex 7000s in the Bristol in 1.22/1.33/1.66/1.85&2.35:1, great fun).

We used to do "proper" changeovers back in Croydon at the David Lean Cinema (68 seats!) - although admittedly with slightly newer Kinoton projectors. For anyone who no idea what this is all about, watch "Fight Club" which explains all about the dots and subliminal frames. Sadly the dots that Brad Pitt indicates are not the actual changeover dots.

The worst thing is, once you are trained to look for them, you can see them every time you go to the Cinema from then on!

We used to do "proper" changeovers back in Croydon at the David Lean Cinema (68 seats!) - although admittedly with slightly newer Kinoton projectors. For anyone who no idea what this is all about, watch "Fight Club" which explains all about the dots and subliminal frames. Sadly the dots that Brad Pitt indicates are not the actual changeover dots.

The worst thing is, once you are trained to look for them, you can see them every time you go to the Cinema from then on!

Yea, and I have to force myself to look away from upper right corner, very annoying!

I have never seen a print of fight club, but remember one film, paradisio? Where the dots being explained looked real, AND were only 30 seconds off the end of a reel.... Big warnings in the log book, and I still got it wrong the first time!

Still for annoying films, I remember one bugs bunny film as part of a cartoon show, where bugs ended up climbing up the rack lines, of course where did it snap? Talk about aggravating, and in 1.33 too so there was no margin to correct on the racking control... Which lines are real....

Then we have the last minute delivery of a subtitled 'scope print (which always turn out to have the dots high and the subtitles low), having the tail drop out the gate because you missed both sets of dots is aggravating!

Actually, the other annoyance is that going to the multiplex becomes an exercise in gritted teeth, as the presentation is almost always sub standard, as to how my local example manages to reliably scratch a print within 2 screenings is an ongoing mystery (Clean the bleedin' film path you muppets, and get that hair out of the gate, it has been there for weeks, have a fiddle with the shutter phasing in screen two while you are at it..... I could go on).

Regards, Dan.

It's at times like this that I'm gald that I don't know what you're talking about.

It drives me crazy enough spotting lighting 'issues' on TV and live performances without it happening at the cinema as well...

...is there a separated rewind room?

That ex-washing machine motor in the bottom of the frame drives the rewind, which is a Neumade job with a big pully added, the standard New Zealand "number eight fence wire" approach.

Please tell me that those old Westars have had xenon fitted? I have a horrible feeling from that picture that they may still be carbon arc?

They are carbon arc.

If you are going to do changeovers then do 2000 footers with carbons. Live the dream, experience the panic. Otherwise wuss out and get a platter and xenons.

:blink:

This little cinema has some history - it's the Oxford Town Hall. In NZ a "town hall" isn't where the mayor works, its a place of communal entertainment. The organisation showing the movies is the Oxford Benevolent and Improvement League (of which I am a member) originally formed around the time of the WWi to provide support to the families of those lost in the war. The League did this by raising money showing (then silent) movies. In 1931 the "new" town hall was built, with half the funding for the construction coming from the League, and a new projection system with sound installed. Around 1997 the projectors were replaced by the current set, which are 1950s vintage.

The League continues to provide support to the community, and continues to raise funds by showing movies, generally every other saturday night through the winter. Its Tim Allan's Shaggy Dog tonight, but I'm not projecting. The cinema is now the final resting place of movies, we are basically a final run house. During the sixties, it was a first run house, showing three movies a week, with queues down the road. Now that everyone has cars, getting to the Christchurch based Multiplexes 50KM away (not to mention the Rangiora cinema which is full time and only 30KM away) makes Oxford movies more of a social and community thing...

http://www.davidbuckley.name/pix/townhall.jpg

When I did a year of "work experience" at an arts centre many years ago, I was given a lesson by the guy who did the projection at the monthly film club.

When to first spool runs out, start the next as quickly as you can
:rolleyes:

I said OK, and suggested that he sat in the audience for the next show and let me run it. After the film I had to tell him that I had been a projectionist for a different film club for about three years, and then stayed there for an extra hour to show him how it should be done!

• 6 months later...

Carbon arcs you say? When youve shown a true Technicolour print using carbons, it is amazing,

We used to do film nights at Stanford Hall in Rempstone, leicestershire, using Peerless carbon arcs, the machines were GB Magnus, a nightmare to any operator, I got my first blood with ABC group in the 60s. Ross GC3, that was heaven, you carry on as long as you can.... multiplex?......stuff it J.S.

Moderation: Spelling & capitalisation repaired, but it still doesn't quite make sense?

It makes perfect sense, you just have to be familiar with the terminology :yahoo:

The lamphouses in my pic are clones of Peerless jobbies, made in Japan, in the 50s. They even have the slot in the top for the edge-lit sign, but sadly the signs have been lost through the midsts of time.

We used to do "proper" changeovers back in Croydon at the David Lean Cinema (68 seats!)
Thats Mr Furley's old gig, if I remember correctly. I'd check, but the forum where 35mm folks live has strict rules and policies, and as I haven't posted for 7 days, I can't access profile information, which is why I can't check my memory is operating correctly...

Archived