Digital Desk In House, many takers yet?

Albatross

Just to add to this my uni which I have just left recently purchased 3 DM1000's. With the use of any other Yamaha desk as and when needed (due to our good contacts within Yamaha/Autograpgh).

Thanks for all the input guys.

It's pretty much what I had already figured. There's still a lot of resistance to the idea of Digital In- House generally.

Yes I do expect that to be an issue, but it all comes down to familiarity much like any other piece of technical equipment.

My point of view is that it will actually be easier for a novice to use, than an analogue desk.

Once I had ( have?) such a beast I will spend a lot of time setting up presets, much as I've done for our Strand 300 LX desk, to make the job more efficient, easier & quicker, for repeated styles of events.

"want to have Overheads in the mix? sure, just load this setting & adjust the level - pre eq'd, compressed etc."

"Want to use a Lecturn on Stage Right?, sure just load this preset for the lecturn & mic"

"Want to use a drum Kit, with our basic Mic Kit? sure here it is , all patched in with some starting eq, gates patched, assigned to a group fader"

Sure there will always be differences in mic placement, room temp, speaker position etc, but it WILL save a lot of time to have recallable settings!

I also want to take it down the wireless path, so I can mix from the auditorium without the desk... well maybe in a years time..** laughs out loud ** But it wil only be possible to do that with a digital desk, NEVER analogue!

Same for walking onstage & adjusting monitors as I listen to them...!

I am hoping within the 5 year lifespan of the desk that there WILL be standards develop for transferring show files, just like people do with their LX desk.

Here in Oz the Strand LX Desks (300 & 500 series) are the standard in most venues, making it easier for touring shows to just turn up with a disk of their cues ( sure, there are lots of other differences between lighting rigs..)

I'm hoping that there will emerge a similar sort of thing , especially with Yamaha digital desks.

Archived