Stage plots

hi all, not sure if this is the right bit of the forum, but anyway...

I'm putting together a basic stage plot for a show I'm doing, and I've not really done one before, generally having approached them from the opposite side.

I was wondering if there are any basic rules of thumb for them, or good tips and advice? e.g., is downstage always down on the diagram, or up, or whatever way you feel like that day?

make sure however you do it that you include the scale detail - that said, if the plan is to be used by 'average' types who can't even read a road map, then actually writing the real sizes on the plan helps no end. Getting the plan the right way round for these people is critical, so a big label saying AUDIENCE works really well

Basically you need to include as much information as whoever is going to read it needs, and then some, preferably in moron.

If its a running plot then mark what furniture moves to which spikes and what colour they are, pref on different sheets so they can be blown up big and stuck on walls for scene changes so until we settle into a show we stand a fighting chance.

Basically its clarity and detail and making things moron proof.

And yes

AUDIENCE

written in big pink neon letters goes down very well.

righto, cool, so basically I'm pretty much on the right track. Good to know. I haven't put the stage dimensions on it, but it's mostly just the positions of in-house kit, i.e. wedges, mic stands, video monitors, and they're, well, as big as they are.

Archived