Showtec MultiDim's

Jamtastic3

BR people, I was just wondering what the difference is between the Showtec Digi-Pack and the Showtec Multi-Dim that Terralec are sealing?.

After reading the previous threads about the Multi-Dim's (by searching first!) these packs sound great for what I need - a budget four channel dimmer to control 4 x 575w Multi-pars which can easily be plugged into a 16A nearby and DMX controlled. But I've also noticed the Digi-Pack which has instead of 8 IEC's, 4 Shuko plugs but is this the only difference between them? The Shuko plugs are putting me off a little as I've never seen 2 prong plugs used that much but seem ideal as there is only 4 sockets compared to the 8 IEC's (which might result in over plugging).

What should I go for for what I need?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to use either pack with 4 x 575w Multi-pars. Knowing that the packs have 5A channels each yet it's powered via a 16A plug does this mean that I cannot have all the channels at full without it tripping out (2300W of power)?

Thanks !!!

I want to use either pack with 4 x 575w Multi-pars. Knowing that the packs have 5A channels each yet it's powered via a 16A plug does this mean that I cannot have all the channels at full without it tripping out (2300W of power)?

I would go for the multi dim, there fine for that use.

I think I understand what you mean with having them all on at full and yes you can as 2300w is well clear of 16a (not going to quote a wattage but its nearer 4000!)

hope that makes sense

Pete

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to use either pack with 4 x 575w Multi-pars. Knowing that the packs have 5A channels each yet it's powered via a 16A plug does this mean that I cannot have all the channels at full without it tripping out (2300W of power)?

You'll be okay to use all the channels at full with what you discribe. Assuming all the channels are on full, the total draw for the dimmer will be the total of the loads connected (plus a tiny tiny amount for the onboard electronics). You can do your calculations as you would if you weren't using the dimmer:

4 * 575 = 2300w

2300 / 230v = 10A

Edited only to change presentation.

• 7 months later...

I bought a Showtec multidim a few months ago and I have to say I'm not impressed with it.

Used it about 10 times and it no-longer works properly;

Channels 1 and 2 don't dim from DMX control, they just do on or off.

Channel 4 is constantly on, whether or not the switch on the front of the unit is powered. I guess this is just a dead triac, but I haven't put over 4A through it and the triacs they use (ST microelectronics BTA16-800BWRG) are rated at 16A, 800V peak.

The problem with channels 1 and 2 seems to be a digital/control problem as the dimmer for these channels works in chase mode.

I'm going to phone Thomann on this one and try to get it replaced on guarantee.

Channel 3 works, though ;)

Chris

Chris,

Sounds like you have channels 1 and 2 set to switch mode instead of dim, should be easy to change it back.

It does sound like you have blown the triac, probably when a lamp blew, you get a huge surge of current when that happens. There should be a fast blow fuse that saves the triac, but either it wasn't fast enough, or somebody replaced it with the wrong one when it blew last time (I have had that happen on some similar units of mine, somebody stuck a 10A fuse in as thats all they had at the time, but never told me......)

Luckily the triacs are not very expensive, but its probably worth replacing it with a higher rated one to be honest.

Ben

Right

Thanks for that tip, 1 & 2 now working :D and I feel silly :)

Replacement triacs are in the post so that should be fine too, couldn't source the 24A (BTA24-800BWRG) ones anywhere other than farnell and I don't want to spend £20 to get them, so if anyone knows anywhere with no min order value, then I'd love to know too.

Haven't blown a lamp through it, so no idea how the triac went. Probably got bored or something (I tend to flash, rather than dim) :(

Thanks

Chris

Archived