Realistic Moving Clouds

robert_stemson

Good Morning All!

I need some inspiration, I require to create a realistic cloud effect, projecting onto a White Cyc. The other requirement, that the clouds need to change colour from White to Light Blue, not instantly, But fade. The unit will need to be DMX or a controllable protocol, so we can control the speed, the effect will be used through-out the production, so it will need to withstand the heat from its source. (not to burn-out its gobo, Image pro image or crack the glass plate) The Lamp source is quite important, as I would prefer to have a powerful and punchy effect.

I have thought of many possibilities as I am under a budget for hiring the equipment for 2 weeks. I have thought about the following... :)

VSFX - White Light DMX Glass Cloud Effect (1000 - 2500W Source)

Image-Pro with Animation Wheel (750W Source 4)

Glass/Mesh Gobo with Animation Wheel (750W Source 4)

Mac 2000 Performance (MSR Gold 1200 short arc discharge lamp) - Cloud Gobo with animation wheel.

I have thought about using Digital projection, just haven't thought deeply about it. I would prefer using lighting instruments than video projection.

Any inspiration? I am investigating all the possible combinations this week. Any advice and views would be grateful.

Cheers

Rob :)

Hi Robert,

Normally I would go with the VSFX, I always think this effect is a adequate one. However as you want the colour to change I would say for maximum flexibility the Mac 2K would suit quite well.

I would not go down the route of data projection if it was my design, it has its uses, but I don't think it would look realistic in this case, nor would it be as cheap as a hire the above mentioned once you have included all the little extras and the time it would take you to prep and create the animation.

Vsfx or Mac 2k, simple and very effective.

Hope that helps

Matt

as you want the colour to change I would say for maximum flexibility the Mac 2K would suit quite well.

The cloud gobo on a MAC550 is great, and achieves surprisingly good results. Cheaper to hire than a 2K as well.

Moderation Quotation of full previous post reduced to save bandwidth.

I've done it loads of time with a mover and a cloud shaped gobo, usually just knock the gobo out of focus a little and have it moving as fast or as slow as you want accross the cyc.

Moving lights. Pah.

The way to get the nicest cloud effect is to stick with the tried and tested way - a small regiment of patt.252s with 'fleecy cloud' discs on the front in a nice slow drive (or Cadenza/Toccata EPs with VSFX units if you want to go a bit more modern! :angry:). A handful of these units overlaid onto a cyc/cloth, with the speed and focus of each one varied very slightly, looks absolutely stunning - you'd never get a flippin' moving light to make an effect as nice as that!

I've seen them in Action, But the lighting Designer never used the VSFX to great effect. I'm heading to Stage LX this morning to try them out, and I will try out this method. Thank you all for your advice, I will let you know when I've made my deal!

Rob

I had my visit to Stage to see the overall effect, and have choosen to go with 4 units. Two which will stay O/W and the other two blue, undecided with the tone, but a light pastel colour. I'll post some picture online, when the cyc is up on the 14th August! cheers

+stage gave me a awesome deal for the hire, was given the option of Mac 700 Profiles for the same cost!! But it would mean that a glass gobo would have to be made, looking in to this now.

The way to get the nicest cloud effect is to stick with the tried and tested way - a small regiment of patt.252s with 'fleecy cloud' discs on the front in a nice slow drive

I think that having several is the key; my only foray into this area was with a single 252, and when it arrived it was much bigger than I imagined it to be(!) so it had to go somewhere I hadn't planned, and although it was clouds moving it was unconvincing. I've seen it done with a few 252s and it looked just so much better.

Archived