Low voltage connectors

Gnome

Hi All,

I have just acquired some birdies, some flicker candles and am in the process of wiring up some "practical" street lights which will be lamped up with 12v lamps.

What connectors do we all use? The birdies have been supplied with XLR3, but what of the others?

Also, what dimmable power supplies have peo;ple used successfully with flicker candles?

Regards

I don't especially like the idea of using XLR3's for birdies - there's far too much other kit that uses them which wouldn't like 12v stuffed up it ....

There's no 'industry standard' connector for birdies - whatever connector suits your needs, that's the one to use. Personally, I like good old-fashoined bullet crimps - they make it nice and easy to get birdie cables through small holes in set pieces, fascias, etc. without having to take connectors off cables or drill big holes. They're very easy to conceal, too. Not as durable for touring purposes as a 'proper' connector would be, though ...

have a look at ST16 connectors (in RS and others). rated at 25A, cheap and being incresing used in exhibition world along with ST18s which are a nice 3 pole connector.

Yes. I've quite often seen these used for birdies - uncommon enough to not get confused with other equipment, and quite cheap.

Archived