NightClub Software

fatfrog

What software do nightclubs use for controlling all their lighting fx etc, I was in a club a few days ago where there was one person do all the fx and another guy doing the dj'ing the fx were so savage, the computer was controlling about 20moving heads, 16 scanners, 4 lasers, and a couple of strobes plus the house lighting, it was deadly, all they had it outputting a visualiser thingy like itunes to all the lcd displays around the club

Thanks

Alan

Thanks will have a look, I'm looking for something to control all my lights and projector etc and the software nightclubs use is deadly.

Alan

Luckily it isn't deadly, or there'd be a shortage of LJ's around :angry:

We use an Avolites Pearl, and two Avolites Azures for control (over 30 intelligents) and various computer programs for doing visuals to the screens around the venue. AFAIK most of the venues up here in Sheffield do similar, with a large percentage running Avolites Pearls.

What are you planning to do? Do you have a mobile rig? The reason I ask is that most of the clubs I've done work in have so much additional kit to make it all work that it would be quite difficult and definately time consuming to regularaly move it around. The main reason rigs look and work well in proper nightclubs is that they are permenant and are designed and programmed around what is needed for that venue. If you are moving stuff to different venues and doing different types of night, you would find yourself needing much more variations of effects than are programmed in most clubs, meaning its harder, and takes longer to bring up that 'deadly' effect that would match the music so well.

We use a Pearl at uni, but I use Freestyler with my mobile rig. Its always being updated and is very powerful and reliable now. Its really easy to program with any kind and number of fixtures, and you can use a control surface (with gives you motorised faders :** laughs out loud **: )

In a fixed club environment is is (relatively) easy to add three minutes of great programming to a library and know it suits the room and the kit.

In a mobile rig there is much less you can do in advance, and unless you return regularly it is pointless to keep the software anyway

We use a Pearl at uni, but I use Freestyler with my mobile rig. Its always being updated and is very powerful and reliable now. Its really easy to program with any kind and number of fixtures, and you can use a control surface (with gives you motorised faders :** laughs out loud **: )

I've also found freestyler to be nice and easy to use, but have recently switched to using a product I found from monacor, called the img 120. This only gives 120 DMX channels, and only has a 3 pin output, but the software saves the scenes, by only recording the channels you've selected, allowing scenes to be used as palettes, and activated from the keyboard. This may be something that other programs do, but so far I haven't seen any others.

Having said that, I will for as long as I can see prefer to use an actual desk, in order to give you access to so many things at once, and not have to use the mouse. Until there is a wing that has user definable buttons and sliders available for less than a few hundred pounds, I don't think I'll stop using the hog 500/1000, or the avo range. As Alan asked earlier, if anyone knows of anything, of not a substantially lower quality than the macigq wings etc but for a fraction of the price, then please reveal all.

Archived