Theatre Work

Hey,

uptil now ive only ever worked in so called private environments (my school / uni) and a private event (thanks rob :-)). I was wondering if pro theatres (eg the Palace in Manchester) need you to have and special insurance or training or anything to be allowed to work (light specifically) a show?

Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Guy

Hey,

uptil now ive only ever worked in so called private environments (my school / uni) and a private event (thanks rob :-)). I was wondering if pro theatres (eg the Palace in Manchester) need you to have and special insurance or training or anything to be allowed to work (light specifically) a show?

Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Guy

If you're working at a venue as a casual, you'll be covered by the venue's employers' liability insurance. Regarding training, each venue is different - some will give you a full induction session when you first start work, others will just put you on the crew for a get-in and expect you to get on with it.

If you're working for yourself (self-employed) you'll need your own public liability insurance.

I deduce from your post that you're based in Manchester - if you want some cassy work, ring up theatres and speak to the chief LX. There's the Palace as you've already mentioned, and also the Opera House, the Library, the Contact, the Green Room, the Royal Exchange, and the Lowry. Be prepared to do all the crappy jobs at first ...

And it's highly unlikely you'll be asked to light a show at the Palace - they're exclusively a receiving venue, they don't produce any work of their own.

Guest lightnix

Don't forget the Manchester based lighting hire companies as possible sources of work and experience. DBN in Ardwick are good and there's Lite Alternative, to name but two. There are a couple of others in the area - check out the White Book or similar production directory. Hire companies will expect you to be self-employed, though, which will mean you having to fork out for PL insurance (expect £575), your own safety kit (minimum: steel toes, gloves, hard hat, ear protection & hi-vis vest) and engage the services of an accountant (who won't need paying for a year). You may also need a harness and associated kit if you are going to climb on rigs, along with training on how to use it safely.

It's been a while since I was in the North West, but I'm sure you realise there are other theatres on the outskirts of Manchester which might also be worth checking out. Don't be afraid to spread yourself about and call as many people as you can find. Fling enough mud at the wall and eventually some will stick.

Good Luck :stagecrew:

if not BECTU then Arthur Doodson are relatively good value for money at around £165 I think I was quoted for £2million public liability

P.S. don't forget the Apollo either venues wise. You could also try Wigwam as they have a new events department which has lighting stuff going out as well as being one of the biggest sound companies in the UK

Thanks,

that was all very helpful and good for future reference (when I have a little more time on my hands and go to find a job).

What I was getting at was if a theatre was hired out by someone and I was doing the lighting for them (like a travelling company, but not travelling and only doing a few nights of one show).

Does that make any sense?

Thanks anyway :-)

Guy

Yes, it makes sense - you mean a situation whereby a company hired a theatre in which to play their show, then engaged you to light it?

If it's a professional company, and you are an employee (i.e. they are taking your tax & NI away from you at source), you would be covered by their insurance.

If it's an amateur company, and you as a member are involved with lighting the show, then again I believe you'd be covered under their insurance. (I'm almost 100% sure on this, but if anyone knows different please do enlighten us ...)

If you are a contractor (i.e. you are self-employed, and are providing lighting services to the company as such for which they issue a purchase order and for which you are paid against an invoice with no deductions) then regardless of whether the production company is professional or amateur it's up to you to provide your own public liability insurance.

Regarding the amatuer companies - usually as long as you are a 'full' paid up member, and over a certain age then you would be covered by their insurance, if you are only 15 or so, or have not paid any subs then you usually wouldn't be..

Richard

Archived