SIA Smaart

RonJon

Chaps,

Just a quicky, do any of you use RTA's, if so, what do you use to get into your computer systems? Do you use more than one mic, are there any really funky trcks to make life easier useing the sofware... whats your prefered method of obtaining delay times?

RJ

Chaps,

Just a quicky, do any of you use RTA's,

Yes

if so, what do you use to get into your computer systems?

A cheap-as-chips Behringer ECM-8000 measurement mic into an M-Audio Mobile Pre into my laptop.

Do you use more than one mic,

No, single channel with multiple locations...which is a pretty standard way of using Smaart.

are there any really funky trcks to make life easier useing the sofware...

Er, just read the manual. I can't think of any shortcuts or tricks beyond the standard operation.

whats your prefered method of obtaining delay times?

Sorry, but not sure what you mean...just use the Impulse tool as per the instructions.

The one major comment I'd make is that Smaart is great for providing starting points but my final adjustments for EQ, delays, etc are always done using my ears (and, for delays, eyes to some extent).

Bob

RJ

Chaps,

Just a quicky, do any of you use RTA's, if so, what do you use to get into your computer systems? Do you use more than one mic, are there any really funky trcks to make life easier useing the sofware... whats your prefered method of obtaining delay times?

RJ

I rarely use the RTA function, for reasons that we've covered many times... but primarily because RTSa are time blind. The spectrograph can be useful in many circumstances (some engineers leave it running during the gig). I also use Acoustic Tools for room analysis and determination of Speech Intelligibility indices.

I use Smaart and TEF. The Smaart systems either use the PCs own soundcard (OK if you have a line input) but for various reasons I use a USB powered preamp (mainly because the laptop doesn't have a line input!).

Mics are selected according to accuracy requirements and how likely they are to be damaged etc. I do keep a Behringher measurement mic for this purpose, but use a Neutrik mic for more serious stuff. Multiple mics can be set up if you use a mixer. This is an idea used quite a lot with the Meyer SIM system.

Delay time is a matter of clicking on "Auto Sm" in most cases, with a quick check to make sure it isn't a stupid number.

For funky tricks I'd suggest going on the SIA training course. Because it's worth it....

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Just wanted to check that I was doing things correctly, don't get to meet many other SIA users, and my old copy of Smaart is a little out of support (1.4), and whether I was missing any usefull tricks, can see multiple mics being very useful on installation work, save running around!

Don't think I can go back to timing systems by ear any more, hard to get that last millisecond lined up!

RJ

Don't think I can go back to timing systems by ear any more, hard to get that last millisecond lined up!
While I agree whole heartedly with using SMAART to set delay times, getting "that last millisecond lined up" is subject to mic placement, and may not be the delay you want to use anyway. Since there is at least a 5ms time window where the Haas fusion effect takes place, you are probably safer using a little extra delay to make sure you have sufficient delay for all the seating area covered by the delay speaker being measured. To get in the ballpark, you should take your initial measurement in the area of maximum overlap in coverage. Try checking the needed delay time at several spots, and go with a longer delay time rather than shorter.

Mac

Regarding delay - I always remember being told by my boss that a useful thing to know when setting up delays is that sound travels roughly a foot a millisecond.

Archived