Flash Powder safety

doctorwhen

Hi all,

I have a current project to simulate a Victorian-style photographer's flash - the T-shaped type held above the camera which is to produce a small flash and puff of nice white smoke.

Making the "prop" itself if simple, and with my mechanical and electrical background rigging up a striking mechanism won't pose a problem.

The flash-gun design will have a relatively deep tray to ensure that any debris/flame will be directed upwards, and possibly incorporate a hand-guard rondel. I am looking at both electrical and mechanical ingition options - Will Flash Powder ignite from a flint-striker?

My query is really regarding the safety of the commercial flash powders, and advice as to which one would suit my requirements.

There will be audience in moderate proximity - at about 3 yards ("photographing distance") - which is about right according to the powder vendors recommendations. However, most of them appear to recommend the user also maintains this distance. Obviously, with the handheld T-bar, this won't be possible. Is the powder really that dangerous in small quantities?

I have also considered Flash String / Cord, but am concerned that although the flash would probably be acceptable, there won't be the classic pall of smoke!

If you do have any ideas, I'd be most grateful for them.

I have a current project to simulate a Victorian-style photographer's flash - the T-shaped type held above the camera which is to produce a small flash and puff of nice white smoke.

Will Flash Powder ignite from a flint-striker?

My query is really regarding the safety of the commercial flash powders, and advice as to which one would suit my requirements.

I'd forget the whole idea of using loose powder and base your design around a pre-packaged effect, both for safety and 'repeatability' reasons.

Have a chat with the awfully nice folks at 'Theatrical Pyrotechnics'

http://www.tplpyro.co.uk/pyrotechnicpots.html

I do miss the old days (pre- LeMaitre) when you had to make this effect yourself with half a teaspoon of flash powder wrapped up in a fag paper with a bit of fuse wire and a 9V battery...... :** laughs out loud **:

Life is safer, but sometimes not as much fun these days!

I had to make one of these for a production a while ago. It was of all metal construction, with a tubular handle and rectangular top section. The top section had recessed holes in it which accepted Le Maitre Pyroflash small theatrical flashes. This ensures that the right measure of powder is used! I definitely would NOT use loose powder for this, and would not use anything larger than a small flash.

The flashes were fired from a 9V battery in the handle. I needed 2 flashes, so had 2 push-button switches. It was left in the control of the SM, who only fitted the battery just before it went on stage, and took it back out as soon as it came off.

We demonstrated it to the local authority, who were happy with it, and the control procedure, and it worked really well.

Jason

Archived