Black Light Theatre

Stutwo

One of our staff has recently visited the Prague Black Light Theatre, and has plans to do something similar here. If you take a look at:

http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=1002

You can see how well the Theatre in Prague combines the UV effects with lighting the performers. I'm assuming the generic lighting is 1) Dim 2) Not coming in from FOH.

Has anyone any experience with doing this type of show and could pass on any advice? Any pointers greatly appreciated.

I have a blacklight show in the theatre at the moment. The only advice I've got is, if it's a big theatre, you need a fair few UV lanterns (we're using 2 400W cannons and 3 florry fittings and that isn't really enough, even for a small stage). Secondly, the 400W cannons take time to 'warm up' (either that or it takes my eyes time to get used to it) and pull more power when starting up.

I think you're right, in those photos, the generic light seems to be principally side lighting. I can't really advise on that as we're not using any generic lighting with the UV scenes.

I saw The Prague Black light Theatre in Edinburgh a few years ago, yes the show was a little dim but the company made very good use of video projection for scenery. This was made easier due to the low light levels, there was a very simple shutter system in front of the projector so they could get a complete blackout (saw this on the way out, as it was at the back of the theatre it could have caused a bad case of tech neck).

Also worked on a one day show in London featuring a lot of puppets and black light and the human performers were side lit and used a small corridor area at the front of the stage. Upstage was the puppet sets and black masking.

Still remember going to see Button moon on school trips when I was younger also Sooty usually had a very good UV scene in most of the shows.

One soloution we have used for the UV cannons is to mount a scroller infront of them; the scroller would have several degrees of ND on the string building up to complete black out. Leave the cannons on, so they are at full power and then wind the scroller out or in to get a fade going.

This works for projectors also, but the light leaks are worse.

Liam

Archived