Show Reports

Hello All.

As the description imply's, I'm looking for a computerised (i.e. ms word template or something) show report. Had a search around here & goggle, but couldn't find one..

So if anyone does have a template for a show report that they could send me, that'd be great.

Looking at all you SM bods & venue managers here :(

Thanks.

Tom

You really can't make on up your self?

Well, here's the one we use. Fairly standard. Some venues / companies may want more or less info, particularly if they area touring company or a receiving house.

At the end of the day, decide what the purpose of the show report is and make sure there's a box for each thing you want to know.Show_Report_30.doc

Pro shows aren't that much different - I've attached on from last years panto here - including the comments about a child being sick on the front row!

download here

The only critical issues with a pro show report are attributing blame for major cork-ups, and then showing how they get put right the next show (or not) As it's panto, there is also facility to show how many goodie bags get given out.

The biggest issue for me (as company manager) is getting the correct amount of info on the form. Some DSMs list every trivial issue, including details of actors nearly being late on stage, musician mistakes and all kinds of details that really shouldn't be documented - other DSMs simply write - nothing to report, which is rather a waste of time. My own system is to list important things, and any issue that affected how the audience viewed the show - so a dancer forgetting to wear a hat I can live with without it going down on paper.

The times are very useful - especialy when the musos are getting close to hours. Having the show report have accurate time info really helps.

Pro shows aren't that much different - I've attached on from last years panto here - including the comments about a child being sick on the front row!

The times are very useful - especialy when the musos are getting close to hours. Having the show report have accurate time info really helps.

Thanks Paul.

Ah Qdos panto reports, seen a few of them before! (I casual at a Qdos panto venue)

Thanks for the help.

Tom

The biggest issue for me (as company manager) is getting the correct amount of info on the form. Some DSMs list every trivial issue, including details of actors nearly being late on stage, musician mistakes and all kinds of details that really shouldn't be documented - other DSMs simply write - nothing to report, which is rather a waste of time. My own system is to list important things, and any issue that affected how the audience viewed the show - so a dancer forgetting to wear a hat I can live with without it going down on paper.

but surely it might not be impotant to you but the fact an actor messed up is important to the director, or the designer.

I was always taught that the show report says EVERYTHING that happens in a show that shouldnt happen, ok if an actor was nearly late isnt a problem, but if they were then that should be put down, but I would say a cast member forgetting costume would be quite important from a designers point of view? maybe im just being niave but its just what I was taught!

You have to decide for yourself what to put in the show report. Is it a punitive document? My director never reads the show report, they go direct to head office to the senior management. Most of the directors role once production has started moves on to the company manager (me) because the director isn't there, or has an acting role and doesn't need/doesn't want to get involved with this area. My duty is to keep the show running how the director intended. As such, I'm not keen to detail all the minor occurences that are to some extent irrelevent. Coming on in the wrong costume goes in the report - coming on with the wrong pair of shoes doesn't (although they can expect a short conversation about it) - If a particular cast member is troublesome, then repeated small errors do start to be put in, for evidence reasons if things get worse (covering back issues, I call them).

What is the show report actually for? We have them, fill them in - but what exactly are they for? I really don't know the answer.

I would presume they would be for the fact the director or any memeber of production staff to be able to keep an eye on whats going on with the show now they've left. or in the last show I was on I was out on tour and thus its a good way of communication any problems during the progress of a tour, also in a company which revives shows, such as the sow mentioned above was one that was origonally produced in 1996, and thus shows reports are a good way of documenting the performances and noting the problems in order to rectify them in the future

well thats my stance anyway....

• 2 weeks later...

I work as a Production Manager at a venue which is mainly receiving but with some producing as well. In fact we've got one of our own shows running at the moment - touring venues around Kent. After they're up and running my involvement goes right down: I certainly wouldn't work the shows unless in an emergency (e.g. someone phones in sick at the last minute and there isn't anyone else). But I still need to know the show is running smoothly.

Thus, for me, the show report is vital. As is the fact that I need it straight away. The DSM will leave it in my tray/on my desk at night so I'll read it first thing in the morning which gives me time to sort out any problems in time for the next performance. Seeing the words "clean show" is wonderful! It means I don't have to do anything. :P

I need to know what went wrong, what has been done about it and whether it is now fixed/set to be fixed. I need to know if cast or crew were late so that if it happens more than once it can be investigated. I need to know if we're running out of consumables (e.g. haze fluid, pyros, etc.) in time to order more and have them delivered (and during panto season delivery can take 3x longer than normal because of all the bank holidays). Some directors and/or producers ask for a copy but most don't, knowing I'll be in touch if there's anything they should know.

At the bottom of our show reports under "notes" we have the line "CONTINUE OVERLEAF IF NECESSARY" to avoid people thinking they've got to fit all the information in a small space. Sounds daft, but you'd be surprised!

Everyone wants something different on their show report, but the job is to find out who receives them and ask what they need to know.

• 2 weeks later...
It is also worth recording who does anything else that should be done every performance. E.g. lowering and raising the iron, sweeping the stage, rig-check, inspection of flys etc.

Working in School Theatre / Amdram I haven't seen this idea before. So simple and so useful. It will be implemented in my next production. Thanks guys. You learn something every day and most of it is useless. Occasionally though...

Archived