SCART video black & white?

Hambone

I just bought a new DVD hard disk recorder to record my VJ sets, which are output to two projectors via a VGA splitter, and to the DVD recorder via a scanconverter. The DVD recorder doesn't have an S-Video input, only fuzzy composite. It does have SCART, though, so I bought a SCART adapter with S-Video and composite inputs. However, the input is in black & white when the scanconverter is connected through the adapter, although the composite input into the front of the recorder is fine.

Any help appreciated!

are you sure the scart input really has y/c? It seems certain that although the cable has been wired for y/c, you're just getting the input to pin 19, with nothing going into the chroma input (usually on the red channel - pin 15) The y/c implementation is always a bit hit and miss. very often the manuals don't even say it has it or not! My panasonic is iffy via the scart, but works fine via the front panel y/c socket?

I didn't expect much at £125 brand-new and with a name like Yamada! :)

The HD side of my Phillips DVD HD recorder works great, has S-video in, but the DVD side just quit working. And after reading horror stories of others with the same issues in Amazon, decided to relinquish it to home duties.

The Yamada will stay in my rig, rather than being passed back and forth between home and work use. Bearing in mind that the video it's recording is passing through video capture cards, through VJ software, and a scanconverter, the composite input will probably be fine.

AFAIK, the Scart adaptors with S-Video input don't actually work fully - you will always get black and white.

I have one on the back of my TV at the mo. (DVD S Vid to TV S vid). Works fine

Horrible connectors though - always coming loose. Wouldn't use one in a touring rack without somehow fixing it into place.

let's be honest, the scart is a simply dreadful connector - the weight of the cable easily exerts more forces than the friction contact of the pins and skirt - so they always come loose. The concept - a cheap multipurpose in/out is fine, it just ended up badly thought through - nobody seeing future need making a scart v2 pin set required, which then messed up the standard.

If the DVD recorder has no separate socket for svideo input, then it will only accept composite or RGBs over scart - the reason being that RGBs uses the same pinouts on a scart as svideo - there will either be a selector switch on the back panel, another scart socket that is wired for svideo, or an option in a menu somewhere to input svideo rather than RGB scart.

Nope, the socket simply isn't wired for it - you do realise you could have picked up a Panny ES10 or 20 for that though (which will do what you want) - can you take the thing back? The replacement won't have a hard disk, but you can get around this by recording onto DVD-RAM - there might even be a secondhand mainstream (probably Toshiba) HDD/DVDR box that can be had for that iirc.

I can return it.

I feel more confident recording to hard disk, then copying to DVD.

Should I be concerned? Is the hard disk or DVD-RAM even necessary for this use? Why not just record straight to DVD+R/RW?

I realize I can get a better specced DVD recorder without the hard drive, with S-Video input, for less cash.

Perhaps the hard disk is just something else to go wrong...

there might even be a secondhand mainstream (probably Toshiba) HDD/DVDR box that can be had for that iirc.
There is a good reason that there may be Tosh HDRs about 2nd hand. They are vile to use. Panasonic and Pioneer are both much easier.

I never said they were any good, just cheap!!! :(

The reason I mentioned DVD-RAM if one forgoes the HDD is that it allows editing of recorded material afterwards (with more functionality than just deleting a bit I believe)

Archived