Lighting equipment

LX coops

Hi,

Thanks for the, most of the power and distro stuff will come under another budget but I will include a non dim, hardpower pack in this spec.

Good news is that our budget isn't as tight anymore and can afford to spend up to about £20,000 to £25,000.

I am still intent on hiring in items such as moving lights, LED kit and other large items which won't be used all that often. But with this budget at events such as:

Presentation evenings, weddings and other ceremonies, fashion shows etc I would like to build up a good little base of kit that we can go out with and do most smaller/ medium sized gigs without having to do loads of hiring out.

Thanks,

Daniel

Seems fair enough, but a couple of comments:

-My 24 par 64s (lamped at 1kW) often aren't enough for the fashion shows or presentation that I do, so it may be an idea to spec some more.

-You've only said about soca, which restricts you to having 6 lights very close together, so think about 15A TRS cable.

-I think it may be an idea to make some floor stands, as they don't cost much to make, but you'll have to factor in a bit for it.

-Profiles? How are you going to project corporate gobos etc?

-I wouldn't buy a flightcase till I could rack four together. They are sturdy enough dimmers, and if you get the feet and handle can stand on end, and are easier to carry.

-If you and LX Coops are both 17, even if you have a vehicle, insurance is going to be steep for you on it. :P Don't know how to solve this other than getting someone else to drive for you.

Finally, just in case you were going to buy the screen from zero88, just buy a nice cheap 17 inch tft, and you'll save a bit of cash. :)

Any comments or questions about what I've written, feel free to PM me.

Hi,

Great input mumbles.

Yes, more pars will be used but then we get the the point on power limitations which is where the moving head yes/no dialemma comes in.

15A TRS - Yup, we will definately get plenty of runs of that, but also soca for areas where lanterns are close together.

Profiles - again the original spec rig was very basic, the expansion pars would include 6 profiles, and gobo holders, maybe rotators - but they are pricey for what they are.

With regard to dimmers, I don't want to have to take a huge rack of dimmers when I'm only using 12x Pars which would only need one Betapack, however I see your point about ease of transport at load ins/ outs.

Drivers won't be us, will be an older adult who is in charge.

And yes, I will buy a much cheaper LCD screen ** laughs out loud **.

Thanks,

Daniel

I forgot to make reference to your comment about LED's. Contrary to your suggestion I cannot think of a fixture type that is more reliable, cheaper to maintain and service. In fact it is likely that no maintainance or service would ever be required. They also address your concerns about dimming and power. I would certainly consider some of these, whether it be panel (ie. Pulsar) or flood type (ie. Palco). The latter are not cheap, but probably cheaper than any of the movers!

In addition I would also suggest some profiles are essential. I am still struggling to think how much you can do with 12x500W pars. As an example, traditionally in a rock'n'roll environment this would just be enough for side lighting effectively giving 3 colour washes and even this will be a struggle once stages become large.

Finally, is the LCD actually needed for the desk or does it just look cool? Genuine question as it really isn't too important with the Pearl but is an extra thing to buy, transport and (most importantly) find a place to put it at FOH!

Would agree entirely with niclights about the LEDs. My range of battens has been toured round the country in a flightcase in my car for various gigs, and I have had no problems woith them at all. They are also incredibly versatile, from lighting a cyc or backdrop at a presentation, to being rigged as a major effect in a music gig. It is worth hirng some out before you consider buying any though, just to make sure they do what you want them to do. I like the look of the Palco, and these can then be used in wedding receptions, presentation etc as architectural lighting. In terms of panels as opposed to battens, I prefer to use battens, jut for their versatility, but that is just a matter of personal choice.

How much of your work is going to be indoors, and how much is lighting a band in a marquee for a wedding, in the middle of the summer at 5pm. In this case, 6kW won't light the band, and will only be useful as little more than ‘eye candy’, leaving nothing for when it gets dark.

And as an addition to the profiles that I think you need, I would want to buy a selection of gobos, with breakups, stars, etc.

Finally, is the LCD actually needed for the desk or does it just look cool?

I agree with nic for a pearl, but find that with a frog, there is nowhere near the same level of display on the desk, and so for more complex plots you will need one.

On top of this, you need to think whether you would want 5 pin or 3 pin DMX cables (betapacks have 5 pin, and mac 250s are 3 pin IIRC), cable ramps?, house lights for marquees or halls, emergency lights (exit signs and bug eyes), and possibly a mirror ball.

Finally, have you considered what tools you need. There was recently a discussion in the training section, here, which might be of interest if you don't already have a large toolbox full of everything you could want.

Archived