Damage to the room?

marcus_aurelius

Hi. I teach Drama (amongst other things) at a school which is also a Grade 1 listed Jacobean mansion. The stage is in the old dining hall, and I am considering asking permission to use a fog machine in a forthcoming production. My question is simple: if we generate a bit of fog on stage, would there be a chance of it damaging the wood panelling of the walls? We're not thinking of much - just adding some atmosphere to a poignant final scene in wartime London where a child has lost his mother. I'm tempted by the look and price of the Antari F80z, but any advice on that score would also be appreciated. I can't imagine how far/high the fog from the Antari would travel, and don't know whether it leaves a residue. The budget at this point in time is small! Thanks in advance for any advice.

My question is simple: if we generate a bit of fog on stage, would there be a chance of it damaging the wood panelling of the walls?
I seriously doubt that you would have a problem - most of the modern smoke machines are pretty good. If you were going to use it night club style - ie full on for 8 hours a night - you might find a problem, but for a small amount of use for dramatic effect you should be fine.

If in doubt though, talk to a local hire company and express your thoughts - they mey well loan you a machine to test under safe conditions.

HTH

TD

Archived