Withies

James C

Google, she say:

Withies

A Withie is the name given to a willow stick, which has grown for one year, then been coppiced and dried.

A bolt of willow is a tightly tied bundle defined as having a circumference of 3ft 2" (97cm) at the base

(therefore it has a diameter of 12").

Withies

Withies are "farmed" in a number of places in England - all of whom deliver. The actual colour of the sticks varies, depending upon the type of willow and where it is grown. The best place to spot suppliers is in the back of a gardening magazine, as withies are now used a lot in gardening (fences, supports etc.). For starters try: English Hurdle Curload, Stoke St Gregory, Taunton, Somerset, TA3 6JD Tel: 01823 698418. £30 a bundle plus delivery

Thinks... "Hmmm... is this a set up for a crap joke ?"

Would I? :blink:

Withies -they're like thin wicker-work canes, about 4ft long, and tapered to one end. Often used in Young Peoples' Theatre prop-making sessions and the like.

EDIT: Curse you, Bryson for your superior descriptive talents! Then again, thank you, Bryson, for providing me with a withie-supplier!

We got some once from a supplier in Somerset, near glastonbury, but I'm fairly sure there is a place in North London called The Cane Shop which might do them - I don't have any more details but will ask around, or maybe google will find them.

Archived