Fireworks Act 2003

Guest lightnix

Guest lightnix

From the latest PSA e-mail newsletter...

The Fireworks Act was given Royal Assent on September 18th.

The new Act enables the Government to:

- Impose a noise limit of 120 decibels on fireworks available to the public

- Ban the use of fireworks during anti-social hours

- License people who sell fireworks

- Allow local authorities to refuse and revoke licenses if retailers act inappropriately

- Create a compulsory training course for operators of public firework displays.

The DTI will be consulting next year on draft regulations, which will be in place for the 2004 fireworks season.

I thought that loud, percussive noises were measured in Pascals, not decibels :blink: Can somebody enlighten me here ?

I thought that loud, percussive noises were measured in Pascals, not decibels

I don't much care if the new legislation, however it measures noise, means I can get a nights sleep during the last week of October and the first two of November!! :blink: (yawn)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE fireworks, the louder the better. However, what with Ede (please forgive me if I've got the wrong festival, or misspelt it) and Guy Fawkes displays spread over 20 days or so, it gets beyond a joke around me.

(Runs for cover donning asbestos..........)

I thought that loud, percussive noises were measured in Pascals, not decibels  Can somebody enlighten me here ?

Pascals are an absolute measure, decibels are a relative measure.

When we say something is xxdB what we mean is it is xxdB relative to a given number of Pascals. 0dB is 20 uPa.

Archived