HSE suspends all new publications

Guest lightnix

Guest lightnix

Just got around to reading my PSA e-mail newsletter (dated 7/11/2003) and found the following article:

HSE is suspending the publishing of all new publications

At a meeting last week the PSA was informed that the Health and Safety Executive was suspending all of its publishing of all new publications until further notice.

This decision will not only affect our industry (event and entertainment) but will have an impact on everyone as it applies to all the Health and Safety Executive activities including any publications completed but not yet printed.

The PSA was reassured that existing publications are not affected and still available from the HSE.

We will keep you informed as we get more information about this decision from the Health and Safety Executive.

Anybody know what's behind this ? There have been rumours of a big H&S shake up for some time now. Is this the beginning ?

Believe it is only stopping all 'non essential' publications. I expect the legal series will continue through this period, but not guidance and the 'indg' type publications (free leaflets and booklets, etc.).

There was an article in the safety practitioners' press in the summer that a considerable downsizing in inspectors was on the way, too.

I feel fairly certain that the reason is probably financial...............

stopping all 'non essential' publications

This is crazy. It's the 'non essential' publications which are the most useful and certainly the most readable.

I feel fairly certain that the reason is probably financial...............

So I guess we can now see moves to put responsibility for interpreting regulations being moved even more onto employers, with things only being tested when they come to court.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of H&S but it needs to be a joined up system if it is to work.

Archived