moving light desks

techymatt

hi I'm a student doing tech theatre we have a show coming up and we need to hire a desk that is capable of controlling a number of intelligent lights I was wondering if any could recommend any hire company's

cheers

First of all, info on how many moving lights your look to control, what your budget is, where you are in the country etc would be useful in getting a recommendation.

There are also plenty of topics covering this sort of thing, you should be able to find lots of info using the built in search engine, or the Google one.

Stu

The big hire companies are:

Whitelight, AC Lighting, Stage Electrics.

Between them they have pretty much every desk you'd want to use.

But what is far more important is that you'd actually be able to use the desk!

There is no point in hiring in the latest all-singing-all-dancing desk if you don't know how to make it sing and dance.

If there is no moving-lights desk you've used much before (which is what it sounds like, as you've asked the question), I'd suggest spending some of the budget on a training course for the chosen desk.

Finally - what style of show?

The Pearl is a beautiful desk for busking the sort of number of movers you suggest, but it's not very good at running theatre-style shows.

Several other desks (eg Hog II) are superb at theatre-style, but harder to busk.

2 other Q's -

firstly, how long is the hire period (from first day of rig day to end of derig)?

what lighting desks can you use at the moment - if you get a desk from a manufacturer you are unfamiliar with, you will probably take longer to get to know it - the base programming method for the sirius applies to the frog, same goes for the GSX to the 500 - but this shouldn't be a reason to rule out other manufacturers eg avolites / flying pig / etc etc. (that read better than it looks)

what else is there in the grid? you probably don't want a mac2000 if you are using generics including minuettes and preludes...

oops that's 4 isn't it... finally, what are you wanting the movers to do - how many washes and how many profiles were you thinking about...i.e. are they purely for a bit of splash (in which case they needn't be extremely bright) or are they the majority of the rig?

cheers for that tomo that was very helpful, the show will run for 1 week, I am confident on zero88 24 and 48 and strand 300, the show will be grease so we will need it for a number of reasons.

I am confident on zero88 24 and 48 and strand 300, the show will be grease so we will need it for a number of reasons.

The 300 will quite happily run 8 movers, I've been running that exact setup recently and it's great. The only thing is that you don't have as many attributes selected at any one given time, so there are a few more mouse clicks involved in plotting, but aside from that it's a great little moving light desk. If you want the attribute selection thing, do what Gareth suggested and go for a 520i :)

Dare I also suggest the Zero88 Frog range? Much less expensive on the hire front and ideal for small numbers of movers with good generic support. Easy to program too - even first time. Only negative could be the number of generic channels required. AFAIK the strand series are not the easiest of desks to work with intelligents but please correct me if you think otherwise.

Steve

On a general basis I would go for the local hire company you have used before. Much easier if you have any problems or need extra kit. Nothing worse than doing your get in then realising your a 5-15A short etcetc.

Unfortunately AC Lighting are not a hire company, although we will happily sell you a console :unsure:
I felt sure I'd hired from AC Lighting North a few years back... Must have been mistaken.

Archived