Audio Analyzer

ljstevens

Hi everybody are we all well?

Quick questionim going to buy anaudio analyser but unsure what one to buy. Looking at the Minilyser and Minirator combo, but just wanted to see if anyone had used these or any other handheld analysers?

I've used the Minirator/Minilyser extensively at work (prior to early retirement) and love them to bits. They're hard (perhaps impossible) to beat for the money.

If you want something better, you'd probably have to step up to a Lindos analyser ( http://www.lindos.co.uk/la100.html ) which is great kit but not in the same price range.

Bob

No, I mean, do you just want to measure SPL? or do you want to measure Leq and/or store measurements. What about Lmax, Lpeak, Le, etc.

What sort of accuracy do you need?

I've never used a minilizer, but I've heard good things about them. Not sure if it can store measurements for download to a computer.

What applications do you find yourself in where you need/want it?

The basic minilyser/minirator package tends to more audio and electrical tests, although you can buy the MiniSPL mic and make it into an SPL/Leq meter. Buy the Minilink software/hardware combo and you can save to PC and display on the PC as well. It's a little clunky, but it works OK. One cool feature is a induction loop measurement mode.

If you need more acoustics based stuff, they do a "crossgrade" that gives you the Acoustilyser (or yo can just go and buy this outright).

Lastly, you can buy the Talkbox that generates a simplified minimum length sequence test tone (STIPA) and also buy the software that analyses this on the acoustilyser. By now, you will have spent £2400, and might be thinking about other solutions ;-)

If you need a cheap and cheerful SPL & RTA, the Phonic PAA is cheap and slightly tacky, but costs less. The Audio Analyser (used to be Terrasonde) is good, but is now relatively expensive.

If you need "proper" acoustic measurement, I'd chop off some body parts and buy a proper meter. Mr Si will furnish a tasty list for you!

Simon

oh right.

Well yeah in terms of tone generation, then the Minirator MR1 is fine. But it won't test polarity stuff. We use our MR1s for pink noise generation for sound insulation testing purposes. And swept sine for diagnostic purposes at times. But you don't need to know that.

One of ours has recently gone wrong, (in my colleague's kit - haha) so we're gonna have to get another one for him.

Nice that it gives the option for either Phono or XLR connections.

Mr Si will furnish a tasty list for you!

Hmmmm. Norsonic Nor 118 - :)

I have PAA2 and PAA3's in hire stock. Like em and sell em.

Sometimes you have to buy two and one will work ;-) ... you send the other one back. Arh Phonic, bless!

I have a PAA2 in my kit and have just retired it. I now have a NTI Acoustilizer. Easy link to PC.... onboard LEQ (no chance of doing that on a PAA3)... and RT60 measurements.... new area for me. Nice to start to get a handle on the numbers.

Starting to measure and characterise RT60 spectrum.... hmmm generating more questions than answers right now. Maybe I should leave this to Mr Si!

Too late ... I want to know now......

Mark

Oh and I have MR1... I won it in a raffle (I'm serious!)

Archived