Dynacord cms or Allen & Heath mixwixard ?

Barrythebuilder

Hi

I posted recently to ask a question on the Nexo system. Well I decided not to buy that, and instead I travelled down to Chatham last night and picked up a second hand Fohhn experience 3 active system, which I need to buy a quality mixer for. I am looking for a 16 channel mixer, and I basically would like the best one available within a budget of 1,300 ish

The two I mention in the topic title are the ones that have been recommended to me, but it would be great to get some feedback from you lot as to what you would buy, .

The maximum it will ever have to cope with is a 6 piece band which I will mike up individually.

Many Thanks

Barry

The Allen and Heath, hands down. Somebody else (I wish it had been me) summed it up perfectly recently: the mix Wizard is a small professional mixer; the other is an amateur mixer pretending to be large.

Bob

The Fohnn sounds absolutely magnificent to me, I cannot stop singing and playing through it, and I've only got a cheep Alto mixer at the moment.

Can't wait to test it on a gig.

Looks like Allen & Heath is favourite at the moment, which is good news as it is a few hundred pounds cheaper.

Thanks

Barry

Which Mix Wizard are you considering (there are several of them)?

The 14:4:2 has the advantage of 4 sub groups but only 14 inputs (and no built in effects) while the 16:2 has a full 16 inputs plus included digital effects, making it a better comparison to the CMS1600.

Bob

Indeed.

Reading back, I realise that most of us have been extolling the virtues of A&H without actually saying WHY we think it's the better mixer. Just for the record:

-A&H has lovely warm sounding mic pre-amps with lots of headroom.

-The EQ section is 4 band with two swept mids as opposed to 3 band/1 swept on the Dynacord. It is also an extremely "musical" EQ, making it easy to get a good sound.

-A&H has 100mm faders opposed to (I believe) 60mm on the Dynacord...much nice to mix with

-The Mix Wizard has 6 auxes; I believe the Dynacord only has 4

-The summing amp also has a goodly amount of headroom.

-A&H has an excellent reputation for reliability and has an internal construction that makes maintenance easier.

-A&H offer excellent customer support at the end of the phone, here in this country.

I'm sure others will have other reasons, but that's what jumps out at me.

Bob

The A&H is my choice too.. (and the 'small professional desk' probably was my quote Bobbsy;-) !)

However, the sacrifice you have to make for the MixWiz 16:2's size is a lack of full stereo inputs.

If you can stretch to £1300, consider one of the small A&H GL series - it should just be affordable.

You'd be surprised how fast 16 inputs get used up on a six piece band though! The GLs are lovely mixers for the money!

However, the other consideration, from what you said, would be the effects since the GL series doesn't have any built in.

Bob

Good as the mixwiz is, the GL is available as a 16 channel, though most are 24 or 32s, but I like the GLs a lot. The 2200 is discontinued, so you should be able to pick them up almost for free and then get an external effect unit or two.

I have no experience of the dynacord mixer so cant compare, but from a disctance I'd echo all of the above, except to say that Dynacord are in the effects business whereas A&H haven't traditionally been (but their digital business may be rubbing off there into the mixwiz, I dunno), I dont know what the effects in the mixwiz are like, they may be brilliant, they may be mediocre. Listen before comitting!

I know the GL mixer would be a good option but I really want to keep it compact.

I have thought more about the true stereo option though, and that would be nice to have, maybe I should look along the lines of the 14-4-2 with an effects unit.

How much is a good effects unit?

And at the risk of asking to many questions does anyone have any views on what cables to connect between mixer and speakers, is it worth spending the extra for something like the van den hull?

Sorry for all the questions, but it does really help me.

Barry

if you want to stick with the TC Electronic brand, to match your Voicelive, then may I suggest something like the M-One or the D-Two.

My M-One cost me £280 new. IIRC

and it's a dual FX unit

And at the risk of asking to many questions does anyone have any views on what cables to connect between mixer and speakers, is it worth spending the extra for something like the van den hull?
I don't know what the "van den hull " costs, but all you need is a large cross sectional area, and flexible. Look at mains flex, 1.5 - 2.5mm sq will do for most applications in your sort of scale. High spec cable is usually supplied packed in snake-oil.

Archived