Mark up sheets For EQ's

Captain

If im right, they are used to mark down what your eq settings were, so there was a record from that venue with that equipment so that you would save time on the re run. just like writing down lighting patches

Just a small observation: You say that it would be useful for a re-run, but if you've got anything other than a very basic system that you can guarantee being identical on each outing, it would be wise to re-EQ the room every time. Large changes such as different systems (speakers/amps) or even slight changes such as slight crossovers tweaks would render your old settings worthless.

If you really want to start splitting hairs a change in speaker direction could potentially produce or reduce problem frequencies in the room.... although this is perhaps more theoretical than anything else!!! :)

There are so many slight variables that, alone or combined, would mean your EQ would need adjusting everytime you used it... and so you've got to question at which point it takes less effort to record, recreate and adjust your EQ, rather than create it from scratch each time!!

Andy

True andy, but for people in education, the desire to fiddle by smaller/bigger kids is inevitable and so its nice to have a copy if its the show day and some numpty has fiddled with the eq, so you dont waste time re-eqing

At a gig I went to not too long ago the sound guy was re-EQing after the first band having taken photos of the desk's pots and the outboard settings etc. He was just zooming in on the screen of his camera and adjusting accordingly. I'll be trying that when I do a show of that ilk...

Aha. darn useful that tim. I might do that, n use a database of space, rig size type of band etc etc then attach the photo of the rig and the settings to the database file.

EDIT: In the unlikely event that someone tries to make one of these, please send me a copy. It would be much appreciated.( I would make some software for myself but im not that knowledgaeable so my mate can do that. ) looks like a trip to excel or access

In rock n roll venues when it is not uncommon to have 3 or 4 bands playing on the same bill , each band may have an engineer touring with them or the house guy will do the bands that don't have there own engineer.

In theory , as a matter of etiquette , the guy doing the ' headline ' band tweaks the graphic to his satisfaction before/during sound check and marks up his own desk channels after soundcheck. While support band's engineers may well need to share and retweak desk channels , headline guy could reasonably expect graphic not to have been fiddled with , or to have been reset to his settings if it has.

It usually falls to the house guy or 'babysitter' to see that the graphic is reset if fiddled with.

If you are doing monitors from FOH as well , bands may have varying mic technique and stage volume which could result in more drastic changes to monitor graphics.

I can see mark up sheets for graphics being very usefull to a lot of people.

How about, a piece of graph paper ( or anything with a grid ) fold it in half and theres 0db.

draw 32 lines top to bottom, laminate it and then use a felt pen to mark the fader level positions. if you need a permanent record laminate it after you mark it up. Just an idea :)

Archived