Guns and their licenses

si_cole

Hi

In a production I am involved with later this year, the producer would like to use a real Winchester pistol with blanks on stage, firing at the appropriate time. The person who owns the pistol (not a hire company, just an individual) has a license for the gun but I am asking the question "is someone else allowed to fire it" and all of the legal implications around that.

Has anyone in the BR had this sort of situation, how did you deal with it?

One way of getting round it would be a starting pistol in the wings but trying to co-ordinate that would be difficult and not very realistic.

Cheers for the anticipated help!

I am sorry to put a dampener on your directors idea, however my immediate reaction is this:

HELL NO!!!!

STAY WELL CLEAR OF IT! Look-alike and modified guns are a legal minefield already... a real gun in firing condition is something that would send me running miles.

There is also the fact that even blanks can kill people.

If you REALLY REALLY REALLY must do it, then what you REALLY REALLY need to do is employ a PROFESSIONAL ARMOURER to TRAIN the operator, MANAGE the firearm during the run and ADVISE the company on the legalities.

I take it by 'real' winchester you mean a 19th century weapon. Thats the only way it will legal (no doubt being about .44 calibre), as its an antique. The owner may well have a licence to own the thing, and even fire it. (I know a chap with a brown bess musket who actually has a black powder licence) But as pointed out you really need to speak to an armourer, as if its even possible for you to use it you're going to need a licence of some sort!

Nice of the guy to offer, but he's nuts! a real winchester must actually be worth money

Thanks for your responses,to which my question is:

What are the legalities, is there a HSE document you can point me to etc.

I need something backup my response to the Director, saying "no" is not persuasive enough!

Thanks again

I don't know any off hand - however: the FAQ's on John Fox (an armourer for the motion picture industry) has an article on blanks: http://www.motionpicturearmourer.com/q5.htm

If you want to know of a fatality: Jon-Erik Hexum, an actor who worked on the tv show "Cover Up" died of impact to the head when using a .44 Magnum with 3/4 load blank - apparently that load is easily able to destroy someones eye from upwards of 10 feet.

You will also need to talk to the police if you plan on using guns - they should be notifed that you have a gun on premesis (even if it is only a prop gun that is not in firing condition)

Are you sure that the gentleman in question has a licence for a HANDGUN?

Our nanny state outlawed all hand-guns because psychopaths used to be able to get licences and still wreak havoc around their local schools!

It is highly unlikely that there is a loop-hole for historic weapons, but the weapon in question may be classed as a shotgun.

That said, you may be talking about a blank-firing replica (solid barrel). there is an earlier thread on thius board discussing such.

Above all, remember what cadets are taught in their training "Never point a firearm at another person - even in jest"

Only your local constabulary's firearms liason/control team can answer your questions. They will know the weapon and the law. they also will need to know that there are plans to secure the weapon and amunition. If the proposed weapon is an antique is it still in proof to be fired, Getting it re-proofed will cost big time!

Search the word Armourer to bring up lots of prior threads.

Above all, remember what cadets are taught in their training "Never point a firearm at another person - even in jest"

I shot a number of mates in the arse using an LSW on fully automatic (firing blanks) during that period of my schooldays :)

• 10 months later...

Speak to Bob Howorth at Howorth Wrightson Ltd

look at: This Page

Phone : 0161 335 0220

Fax : 0161 320 3928

E-mail : bob@hwltd.co.uk

He knows all about Firearms for theatrical use including hiring them out. He'll be able to point you in the right direction. A *real* working gun in a theatre is just going to be a no-no.

I was once tasked with investigating practical tommy guns for a production of Arturo Ui. I spoke to the nice people at Bapty and when asked if they supplied blank-firing weapons they replied 'No sir we supply real weapons that fire blanks... then you need 2 armourers plus their travelling and subsistence plus the weapons plus the rounds...I could go on.

Sorry to say this but if you director needs a reason more then don't be so f**king stupid you cant use a working gun on stage- Even with blanks! Then he really shouldn't have anything to do with directing a production which is using blank firing pistols. He sounds like a big risk taker who doesn't have much common sense.

I don't mean to be offencive but its not normal to think about using a real gun on stage.

Good Luck to all who are in the theatre when the shows in rehearsal

For future reference. An armourer is your best first point of contact.

Try:- : Dave Evans davethearmourer@btinternet.com , or Richard Hooper 0845 3954786, or Greg Corke gregcorke30@blueyonder.co.uk .

all of whom worked on the film shoot of Margate Exodus when I was doing the special effects.

The rest of you. if you don't KNOW, don't COMMENT. Apologies to those of you with sensible measured suggestions.

Archived