UV Clouds

timmiddleton

Hi

I'm making some clouds that are going to be held up in the air on obvious broom handles by some kids at the school work at. It's during a UV water scene - glowing underwater animals, boat etc. I want the clouds to glow as well but it'd be nice to have some texture to them rather than just having a flat colour.

Any ideas on how to get a fluffy cloud look but make them glow under UV light too? My first thought was cotton wool and a UV paint aerosol if such a thing exists.

Tim

With UV three dimensional fine detial often gets lost - the trick is to use some darker colours to produce the light and shade - the white mixed with a litle blue to create a very light blue on edges will produce a much better 3d look than trying to make it real. The other reason is that with real 3D, the person holding it needs to keep parallel to the edge of the stage or it looks pretty unrealistic (and very cack)

Any ideas on how to get a fluffy cloud look but make them glow under UV light too? My first thought was cotton wool and a UV paint aerosol if such a thing exists.

If these clouds are static, you could try using some vac-formed jobbies, painted UV white with some dry-brushed detail, either in non-UV paint or a different shade of UV.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought some 12mm wadding fom a craft shop and I'm planning to wash it a few times with washing powder then glue it onto my cardboard cloud shapes. Just had a look on the back of the Persil box I had at home and couldn't find any ingredients list - from experience is there a washing powder with a high level of whitening stuff that would make the wadding glow in fewer washes?

Bizarre question, I know...

Tim

Archived