Sound to Light

timmiddleton

I remember using a lighting controller which responded to Sound with 4 channels of lighting - one for each 'band', so Bass, Tenor, Alto and Treble. If I remember correctly, it had a setting for reduction as well, so the action could be reversed. I'll have a snoop round the unit and see if I still have it etc...

Feed the audio into a 0 - 10 analog dimmer. use an op-amp to chose invert or non-invert, and another to rectify the audio. Adjust the integration time constant with a small capacitor with parallel bleed resistor

Try making a lead with an OA81 diode in series and linking a rather high line level op direct to a 0 - 10 dimmer

This cost me about £5 to buy (several years ago) and a few mins to make up - Maplin used to sell it, I'm not sure if they still do, but the usual other suspects probably will. It needs speaker level input (so just put your mic through an amp) and has a max output of 230w, but it may be of use depending on your application.

Alternatively here is your standard 3-channel sound-to-light unit, much like what jayselway refers to above. Costs more, but comes with a case! I think this one is also available ready-assembled if that appeals.

Archived