HPL Lamp Brightness

jexjexjex

Hi all

I'm sure that this has been raised before, but I can't find a direct reference, sooo...

I've just been asked to source some new fixtures for a small local venue and the subject of Source 4's came up.

The venue doesn't have a lot of power and HPL575 lamps would blind out the whole place, so I though about HPL375's instead.

From memory, the HPL575 is touted as giving a similar light output as a traditional 1000 Watt lamp.

If that's the case, where would the HPL 375 lamp fit into the equation?

Would I be right in assuming that the light output would be somewhere around the level of a traditional 500 Watt lamp lamp, which would be more than bright enough for this small stage?

From memory, the HPL575 is touted as giving a similar light output as a traditional 1000 Watt lamp.

Ah, the wonders of marketing speak. The actual HPL lamp, in it's 240v guise, gives out a total of 14900 lumens for an efficiency of 26 lumens/watt. A 1k lamp like a T11 gives out 23000 lumens for an efficiency of 23 lumens/watt. So in pure lamp terms the HPL gives out 13% more light per watt. The 'it's the same as a 1k' refers to the whole lantern and lamp assembly in a Source 4.

In simple terms I'd expect a 375W S4 to be equivalent to a 375/575 * 1000 = 650W traditional lantern.

I believe the 375w HPL lamps are only available in 115v (USA)? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but a quick google of the lamps only turned up 115v results. :blink:

According to an ETnow article, they're primary use is for architectural, so I'm not sure if the fixtures you could put them in would be suitable for theatre. i.e. they could be white or silver.

In answer to your main question, id say if the 750w & 575w versions are anything to compare by, your right, they would be around the same brightness as a 500w tungsten lamp, but with a more whiter look to the beam.

HTH

Tom

ETC list ( :huh: ) the HPL375x 230v and HPL375x 240v The X denotes long life, in this case 1000 hours.

Lumens output is 7800. about half that of the 575w (14900 in the 230/240 version)

All tungsten HLP lamps will fit in all source 4's, the architectural version normally has a discharge lamp, and hence a different lamp base. The only problem you will normally encounter is trying to put a 750 in a source4 junior, 'cause it won't fit! I have a bunch of silver source4s with tungsten lamp bases.

oh and if you can't be bothered to go to the ETC website and download the user guide :blink: the colour temp is 3050K versus the 3200K of the 575.

/pedant mode

interesting that ETC actually list colour temp in degrees kelvin. given that there is no such measurement.

/end pedant mode

ETC list the HPL375x 230v
that variety is not in my manual...

http://www.ampcats.com/gy9-5-hs-t6-bulbs.png

and GE doesn't list the bulbs... admittedly my manual does not mention 750W versions (being dated a while ago), but GE do show the 750w bulbs

interesting that ETC actually list colour temp in degrees kelvin. given that there is no such measurement.

Lee filters do on the colour correction charts, my old LaCie CRT monitor allowed you to choose the colour temperature as well...

even Wiki has an article on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_temperature

I will agree with that - one US web site states ...

*Light output near 1000w

from 575W lamp

which is what I recall sales people touting a few years ago - now ETC say

'at 575 watts the Source Four literally outshines 1000W ellipsoidals'

Anyways, back on topic, apart from Andrews manual stating that u can get the 375 hpl lamp.. does anyone else have any proof that a 230v version exists?

I'll get onto my contact at AC tomorrow and report back if I find out anything.

Tom

Anyways, back on topic, apart from Andrews manual stating that u can get the 375 hpl lamp..

snip!

Tom

not mine, the latest version on the ETC website!

Might just email ETC and ask who can supply the 375/240's seeing as they list them

well... that is the only documentation I've seen with that in... and by far the largest listing of bulbs as well - even including the 77v ones....

rushes off and searches....

ushio make them according to

US - http://www.ushio.com/det_sstv_hpl.htm

UK - http://www.ushio.nl/index.php?menu=pa&page=pa&sub=13&pg=14

and seem to be the only ones - GE , philips and osram/sylvania definately don't list them... had checked them yesterday!

and seem to be the only ones - GE , philips and osram/sylvania definately don't list them... had checked them yesterday!
Sounds like what I found when I goggled the lamps a few days ago when I posted originally.

My contact says yes the lamps do exist, but.. they aren't in the UK yet ;) And he wasn't sure of a shipping date.. Which sounds to me like why the lamps aren't listed in manuals yet, because they don't get added to UK info places (for lack of a better phrase) until u can get ur hands on the things/until they are just becoming available.

Just out of interest, who here would bother with a 375w hpl lamp (assuming its designed to replace a 500w tungsten type lamp)? I mean ok they draw less power etc, but why not just use a 575w and just pull the dimmer down abit? Gives you some headroom to push the intensity up should you need it.

Tom

Just out of interest, who here would bother with a 375w hpl lamp (assuming its designed to replace a 500w tungsten type lamp)? I mean ok they draw less power etc, but why not just use a 575w and just pull the dimmer down abit? Gives you some headroom to push the intensity up should you need it.
Well as a lamp dims the colour temperature drops, which means colours start to look different - obviously as the light is more orangey than when at full, for want of a better way to put it. If you had a bit of 152 (say) in 2 S4s, one lamped at 375w and at 100%, and one lamped at 575w and at about 60-70%, they would look different even though in theory they should be the same 'brightness'.

Plus you might have really limited power....

Stu

lamps do exist, but.. they aren't in the UK yet

even stranger is that the manual listing them is dated 1999 - specifically, 09:53 on the 13th of December - maybe the Y2K bug did have some effect after all...

Archived