Top effects for Clubs.

Bad_Rock

Can you guys give me an idea of with lighting effects can be -still good for disco-techs ? With all the new Moving heads and modern scanners do you think that there is still room for lighting effects ? Wich one's would you select? Any special centerpiece ? Maybe something else?

Thanks for your help.

That depends what you mean by lighting effects really (maybe this should be in the lighting section)! There arent many clubs that use anything but heads and scanners anymore really (quite often lazers!) - mirror balls and lazers can be quite effective though...

"Lighting Effects" do you mean things like traffic lights, rotating light balls etc? As far as disco-techs go, unless it is a highly designed 'show' - which they usually arn't, you will find most places will steer away from them.

The simple fact of the matter is that most effect lights are rather tightly defined in purpose - where as your 'typical' moving head or scanner is extremely versatile. Whilst they cannot emmulate the effect of many of the 'effect' lights, they provide more 'bang for buck' - and in the end, it is the bottom line that matters to most people.

That said, I really love certain effect lights and if I was to ever light jockey (I am certainly interested in doing some one day) I would see if I could hire a few (relatively cheap asian brand stuff, overly special).

The club I work at has a rig of mostly high tech scans but we also have 6 NJD Datamoons. Now these, even though are a bit old skool, all work perfectly well and don't look that particularly 'tacky' (as far as moonflowers go) in today's world and in certain applications. I like them because for gigs, they throw out a burst of scattered light unlike the scans, and when I'm doing club nights I like swapping between the scans being on, then the Datamoons being on and vice versa.

Effects units can be great depending on how they are designed and programmed. I think centrepieces have a flaw to them - I just don't particularly like them. I think it's becuase I don't like the idea of having 6 odd moving morrors all in the one area of a particular design where most of the movement is of course in the centre but nothing else is happening anywhere else.

It's the same with lasers I think. They are a bit like strobes in that they are a one off lighting spectacular - you can only really use them in short bursts or in really clever ways, too much and the effect becomes boring.

Ha it sounds like I'm totally negative but when I have my hands on a laser I love it!

I can see what mac is saying about moving lights being 'bang for buck' - I think many a people who would be installing a nightclub rig or investing in new equipment would undoubtfully be thinking about more scans or more moving heads - whatever the brand or cost because they provide more of an effect and are commion standard nowadays seen from influences like TV, gigs and concerts. Effect units like UV's, strobes and DMX moonflowers will relatively become secondary to the moving lights.

It used to be that many large rigs were made up of banks of pinspots, harvesters and neon lighting lining the rigs - oh how things have changed!

Hi,

It appears that retro is becoming more popular as I guess the people that own the clubs and spec the rigs were actually going to clubs in the eighties and early ninties and are going back to what looked great then, just my £0.02 worth.

Some of the centre piece lights like Robes Dominator XT are great retro effects also clay-paky make a couple of great effects like the astroraggi and the atlas. As someone mentioned earlier a lot of the asian stuff aimed at the mobile dj and low budget install seems to be in this retro effects area.

Sorry could you please specify what clubs you have seen these effects? Because I havnt seen any 'retro' lights out clubbing in a very long time! I guess maybe cheesy disco type bars and places do but thats not really a club...

Club lighting nowadays is pretty much lazers, moving heads and moving scans...and strobes.

We had an 80's clubnight a few nights ago and so just for nostalgia, I tried to recreate a neon rig with 4 x 20 metre single coloured ropelights, fitted all over the rig, all sound to light through the board (bass, tenor, alto and treble) and for the effect, it looked amazing. I might just keep it up actually.

Anyway back to the topic - you could say effects are still out there - they're just a bit more subtle in design. Take the Martin Pro 400 - it's defenetily a nu-skool effect, it's not a moving light, it's just a nice and simple effect light. Or Chromabanks - they are used alot in nightclubs just for creating patterns and washes of light to watch.

Walk into a Reflex 80's bar for examples of old lighting!!! oh and old backstreet clubs that need overhauls usually have good old lighting like 90's early 2000 nightclubs or 70's 80's revival clubs that are popping up recently!!!

Some of the centre piece lights like Robes Dominator XT are great retro effects also clay-paky make a couple of great effects like the astroraggi and the atlas.

That kind of effects. I don't mean super cheap Asian effects. Is there any of this effects that you can suggest me? Also if it's better to use it on pairs etc.

It may be a bit "cheap" but in the terralec catalogue,there is a Navigator 575. It looks quite nice and is DMX but I cant seem to find it on the net. but maybe its just im too tired.

HTH

Duncan

PS If you want an image, pm me and ill see what I can do.

Archived