Drum Racks

Ben Langfeld

Ok, this is one small thing that to a lot of you is probably really simple, but it's starting to get at me because I can't figure it out. At many concerts there is quite a tall rack of gear near the drum kit, usually to the drummer's left, but what's usually in these racks? I can't think of anything which the drummer would need access to, but the rack always appears to be facing the drummer. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Here's an example photograph to demonstrate what I mean.

Often things like click track, backing tracks will be controlled by the drummer, and would be in such a rack. It may also contain the speakers for a drum fill - perhaps top and bottom with tracks in the middle.

Tom

Can't see a rack in your picture, however sometimes the drummer may have triggers in the drums to trigger samples etc. and control for these could be in a rack.

A drum fill would be near the drummer and would be either a wedge or larger speaker stack, for instance the drummer with whitesnake used to have 6 stacks of Martin F1 around him (a bit overkill).

Ian

Thanks guys. The click track idea sounds like a reasonable one. Samples are an interesting idea, although Christoph Schneider uses quite a large rack of something and Rammstein have Flake on keyboards/samples. Hmm. Anyone have any more ideas?

@Ian: The rack in that picture is to the drummer's left. It's fairly obvious in the picture.

Sorry but in the picture or the resolution I get I do not see a rack.

Ian

Right just re-rendered the picture in Photoshop, yep trigger rack, case underneath probably either empty case or amps for throne shaker.

I can't think of anything which the drummer would need access to, but the rack always appears to be facing the drummer.

A 12U fridge stocked with Bud and Jack Daniels ? ;-)

Nah, it probably is just a rack of samplers etc. Big Mick Hughes talks of running trigger signals down multicores to FOH. It doubled the cabling requirement for the tour... you can see why the sound company would be keen to place the rack close to the drummer!

Yep, then if the drums sound crap out front, the engineer FOH can honestly say it wasn't his fault.

The rack probably has some flashing lights on it to mesmerise the drum-trog during long breaks between numbers, so that he doesn't wander off looking for bananas and stuff.

Archived