Allergic to haze??

J Pearce

Every show I have worked on recently that has used haze I have come away from with a really dry sore throat.

The 1st time the haze was oil cracker, so I put it down to that, but since it then they have all been water based hazes. It doesn't seem to be affecting anyone else, just me, but its the only thing I can think of that it could be.

Anyone else suffer from an intolerance of haze, or am I just cracking up, and blaming the wrong thing?

Well, far from scientific, but....

I once worked on a show that involved a lot of haze and every time it was turned on the audience started to cough...to the level where it became annoying in a quiet scene.

Just for an experiment, one day we changed to pre-show "turn off your phones and no photography" announcement to include the phrase: "This show contains numerous haze effects but we are using special theatrical haze that does not cause irritation or coughing." That was enough of a psychological boost that coughing was reduced to almost nothing and this phrase is now included for almost every show with a smoke machine or hazer.

So...possibly just the power of suggestion? Trouble is...you're an insider so you know about "special theatrical haze" ;) and I doubt our announcement will help you!

Bob

I take your point, but I don't think it is that. Even when going to the staff area in the interval my throat clears, aided by coffee, then when I am back in the auditorium my throat gets dry very quickly again, despite drinking water.

I've had a dry sore throat in theatres before and thats without haze. I normally use haze, so I put it down to the theatre being very hot and dusty.

Was it in a theatre you normally work at?

Personally I find theatrical lights are more of a throat irritant due to evapoiration from the mouth. This is why, I understood, that actors are given voice coaching, in order to oevrcoem this drying effect. That may of course be an old-wives tale told by an actor trying to justify his opinion.

Afternoon.

If this is a repetative problem with all types of smoke / haze fluid its best getting hold of the COSH reports etc for each fluid type / make. Ask your supplier to email you details of these - by law every supplier & now every venue should keep manufactures COSH details, have copies of them or be able to get hold of them asap. If they don't then keep asking for them until they do.

These should list all chemicals used in the making of the fluid, what happens when its heated, what to do if someone becomes affected by the smoke / fliud etc etc.

It could be the most simple ingrediant used as a base chemical is something your body is allergic to with you knowing it.

Hope this helps. ;)

Janis Ian's rider says something along the lines of:

Janis is allergic to smoke and haze. Please do not tell us "this is water based so it won't affect you" because we'd prefer to have a live singer with no haze than a hazy stage and the singer in hospital". Thanks.

Even when going to the staff area in the interval my throat clears, aided by coffee, then when I am back in the auditorium my throat gets dry very quickly again, despite drinking water.

Just to say, coffee is a weak Diuretic - meaning it makes your body get rid of more water. So the amount of water you drank when back in the auditorium might have just replaced the amount the coffee caused you to lose, and not increased the overall level of water in you. So it's probably best to avoid the coffee and just drink plenty of water instead.

Also, apparently, if you lick your lips a lot it dries them out quicker. Weird... A lil off topic, but I thought that should be said ;)

Peter.

I know that coffee is a diuretic, but that hadn't occurred to me.

Perhaps it's my increased coffee intake during shows, not exposure to haze....

Hmmm, I'll avoid caffiene for the rest of the week, and see if that improves it.

it IS possible to be allergic to haze. not properly anaphilactic shock allergic but some peoples body's react differently to stuff than others. It is known that a combination of haze, theatrical lights and unusual biochemistry can result in some symptoms, I would put it down to dehydration. But if you are coming down with a cold, which would change the electrolytes in your blood, and inhaling a lot of haze then it would probably do it.

in short, try drinking lots of watter and see if that helps. If not you may just be one of these people who dose not like haze.

hope that helps

Matt

Hmmm... 99.9% of people are just hypochondriacs. Today's water-based haze shouldn't affect people... it's safety standard is above that of food.

BUT if you are one of the susceptible people, repeated /prolonged exposure will only make it worse.

As for food about 1% of the population have an adverse reaction to peanuts or shelfish, about 1% of those depend on carrying their injector pen at all times to stay alive, - paramedics wouldnt get there in time.

Is the haze system and fluid clean and fresh?

Haha. I was watching what I said in that post. I have no doubts that some people will have allergic reactions ect. to haze fluid.

Saying that, it has happened to me using a water based fluid... I have come away one or two times with sore eyes... however it was in pubs so it may have been cigarette smoke (which nobody has to worry about now).

Archived