Moving on to A2 level...

Hi there, my name is Leo and I'm currently following my dream (¬_¬) of becoming a lighting designer and technician. I'm hoping to do a course similar to the Glamorgan Lighting Technology course at uni, if not that course itself. I have a conundrum though. I am currently studying Drama, Computing, Media, Maths and Geography at AS level. I need to choose 1 to drop and not carry through to A2.

I am aiming for an absolute stunner of an application form - hoping to double the number of points required on the course I choose to ensure I can get in. I'm not sure how well different subjects come across when it comes to lighting courses, so let me summarise my current feelings about my subjects.

Drama - Definately going to continue with this, I do the design route so it seems like the natural choice

Computing - I have a natural talent in this area so I know I can achieve an A in this, thus I am carrying on.

Media - Not so sure about this. I'm very good at it but most people seem to consider it a fairly worthless subject - is this true in this field?

Maths - I can't stand it, but I'm fairly good at it. I know how great maths looks on an application, but once again this is a field not many people have advised me on.

Geography - Like the subject, but I'm not sure how high it is held in the creative arts industry.

I would appreciate your input on making this desicion, this forum has been helpful in the past and I am sure it won't fail me this time :)

I'm just taking the exams for physics, IT (computing but more buisness) and Design Technology.

To be honest, I dont think it really matters what subjects you take for this type of thing (having just been offered places at RWCMD and CSSD). As long as you show commitment to what you want to do. Performing well in any subject proves that you have dedication and motivation. Expierience in what you want to do cant fail to help prove your point either.

HTH

Yea I would agree with James, I've just got into Guildhall and they didn't really look at my A-Level subjects at all, it was useful however to talk about how I had performed drama and knew how it was on "the other side...".

HTH

Nick

Im at Derby (arguably a considerably better course than glam ;) ) and I took physics, IT, Theatre and RE. Studied technical in theatre studies (bad idea - the teacher knew nothing but thought she knew it all!), RE wasnt related. But Physics and IT have done me proud especially for the beginning of the IT & ECAD in the first year - Excel spreadsheet phase test and then maths and electronics modelling software. Very interesting and doing IT helps with it a lot - it also does help you are able to make good powerpoint presentations etc. Phsyics was really helpful - I failed it but it really helped me in the basics of sound tech, light tech and the 2 electronics modules.

One quick heads up to all coming to Derby next year - if you do AS Level maths (integration and differentiation in particular!!) - it will help! (I didn't)

If you want anymore info then just ask

Tom

I'd suggest that you phone or e-mail the programme leaders of the courses you are interested in.

Find out which A2s they look for - or indeed whether practical experience is the key factor, and just "two good A levels" is sufficient to gain entry.

Many arts based courses will not be as specific about actual A2 subjects, although Drama will be considered useful.

Technology / Engineering based courses may well advise or even require you to keep maths and computing.

Best to ask now, rather than find that you have made the wrong choice!

Simon Lewis

I'd suggest that you phone or e-mail the programme leaders of the courses you are interested in.

I would agree with this but Leo is also asking our opinion and we are skirting round the issue, so my opinion is drop either Media or Geography and keep the one you think you will get the best grades in.

I lecture on a degree course at a Drama School where an applicants experience would count as much as their grades so if it is a choice between doing 4 subjects and helping rig in your local venue I would say you should drop BOTH Media and Geography.

Your parents are going to hate me for that!

Ditch drama - if you don't know how "Hamlet " works by now you never will; also, Drama at school has as much to do with "working in theatre" as I have to pole dancing.

Do maths because it's character building, geography because it's interesting, computing because it might get you a job and media because it will piss off Boris Johnson.

I would be suprised if Glamorgan let you in without 2 science/technology based A-levels; I believe we would ask for the same.

Another smiley face please moderator

Cheers

Ken

Ken: how about this one: ;) ?

;) Mods

Hi,

Firstly best of luck with your studies, here's my opinion....

I would agree with a few of the last posts... so drop one or two of Media, Geography or Drama. To be frank if you really just want to drop one, I'd make it Media.

Although I'm not in the theatre industry I am in the broadcast industry and the feeling here is that media is not the sort of subject that is highly regarded. It's a very broad subject and doesn't really teach you anything you can't learn yourself on the internet in a few hours! What employers tend to look for is intellectual / practical capability, i.e. if you get a good mark in maths that means you're quite clever and might be able to learn other complex things quite easily.

I would advise you to keep maths and computing, especially as you say you want to become a technician, you never know you might want to make that an engineer at some point, and in that case you would definitely need maths / computing.

Main thing is think about what your CV will look like after you have finished your course, it's good to have some strong AS levels to supplement your qualification.

Also I agree with the comment regarding rigging at your local theatre, I did the same during my A levels for two years. Not only did it give me some invaluable experience, both technically and socially, but I also earned more money than my mates who worked in Tesco! Also try to get yourself some work experience, I did several one week stints during the holidays at random london theatres, I arranged this mainly by calling up out of the blue, or by writing a few letters. Although don't get disheartened if people say no, they are very busy and it can be difficult with young people to ensure adequate insurance is in place.

What ever you choose I hope you have fun.

Fletch

You definately, definately need Maths. You'd be surprised how often you need it.

Computing is useful, as you never know when you might need to fix somebody's broken Powerpoint presentation.

The others - choose what you're good at. They bear no resemblance to anything at university or college anyway, so just pick what you can excel at.

I'm not entirely certain what universities and colleges are looking for (Ken's your guy for that), but employers are not really after a list of qualifications as long as your arm.

They want people who can think on their feet, and in this industry they want people who can fault-find.

Fault-finding is a state of mind - it's not really something that can be taught.

I'd strongly advise against dropping drama. I followed the lighting design route in A Level Theatre Studies and it gave me experience lighting and operating shows, whilst also helping me gain a critical approach to drama which proved very useful in my degree (Theatre Practice at Central School of Speech and Drama).

Contrary to the other posters, I see no reason why you absolutely "need" maths. If you want to be a lighting designer, I can't think of many times when you would need anything beyond GCSE level in maths (I certainly never have, and it didn't stop me getting into drama school, getting a first in my degree, and working professionally!)

Good luck with your choices - don't feel bullied into doing subjects because others think you "should" do them. Choose subjects you are passionate about ... the more you can enthuse about your experience and knowledge when it comes to university interviews, the better. Subjects and grades are only half the equation!

If you are a lighting designer who can't do maths - that's a pretty big limitation.

Maths - well, budgets discounts, fees, percentage deals etc all need basic maths, but how about when you have to do power calculations? How about beam angles - hows your trig? Good at reading plans and then re-scaling feet into metric.

Maths is damn important - I'll admit that GCSE level might be enough - but if that is your limit, then you're obviously not comfortable with numbers. From what I've seen of people who have GCSE maths - anything less than an A* is not that good, is it?

A level maths is probably too far the other way, but if you can do it, it says quite a bit about how you think.

As an ex-A level media studies teacher, I'd agree that people have a very low impression of it. Not just A level. I made the mistake of thinking a BA in media would mean somebody would understand the video business - nope, so many media strands that you can't be good at all of them. The person I'm thinking of had studied political journalism and nowt else.

Just to restate a point:

NEITHER the Glamorgan course nor my course at Derby are courses for lighting designers; lighting design may be included, lighting designers may be produced, but lighting design is not their primary aim. This might change with the Derby course if I stick around.

Glamorgan and Derby, as it says in the course descriptions, are technology/engineering based courses that look at the science and physics that underpin entertainment technology - they are both BSc degrees for that very reason. If you do maths you will find parts of the course, certainly at UOD, much easier; you will also breeze through Quantative Methods which is a good thing as without passing this module you will not get a degree.

Obviously, I do not have intimate knowledge of the Glamorgan degree so I am happy to be corrected, sued, beaten up.

Right, back to the garden and extreme bean planting - force six winds and hail here.

Ken

If you are a lighting designer who can't do maths - that's a pretty big limitation.

...budgets discounts, fees, percentage deals etc all need basic maths, but how about when you have to do power calculations? How about beam angles - hows your trig? Good at reading plans and then re-scaling feet into metric.

Maths is damn important - I'll admit that GCSE level might be enough - but if that is your limit, then you're obviously not comfortable with numbers. From what I've seen of people who have GCSE maths - anything less than an A* is not that good, is it?

Paulears - Everything you've described above could easily be handled by a GCSE maths student, or someone with a calculator. <_< Also, I should point out that the O.P. has already taken Maths to AS level - which means he is more competent than a GCSE maths student, if that is your benchmark.

Speaking as someone who got a B in GCSE maths, I can honestly say I never had any difficulty scaling plans, calculating beam angles or doing power calculations (nor has it stopped me from getting work or into university, where a C or above at GCSE maths is usually the required minimum).

As a lighting designer, or even a technician, I fail to see how pure maths and advanced statistics (which is what the A2 syllabus mostly consists of) would help with your career prospects. As I said - your A2 choices should be about what you think would benefit you the most in future - not doing what parents, peers or the establishment expects.

As I said - your A2 choices should be about what you think would benefit you the most in future - not doing what parents, peers or the establishment expects.

A valid point.... but if a student intends applying to one of these "establishments" to undertake a programme of study, and if that programme requires maths or similar technical subject as an entry criteria, it seems eminently sensible to study that subject at A2! Entry requirements aren't arbitrary - they represent what the course designers believe you need to have studied, or what external accreditation bodies stipulate you should know.

Furthermore, doing only what you want to do may not be the best course of action... My kids would happily eat only sweets and ice cream, but their cruel parents make them eat meat, potatoes and broccoli ;-)

Simon

From someone at Derby, and someone who didn't do Maths at A Level, I can strongly suggest that you carry it on because it would have helped me no end (mainly in passing Quantitative Methods!)...I do not know what Glamorgran is like though, but I would imagine quite similar!

Maybe Maths isnt a necessity Andrew and I agree that you dont need half of what you learn at A Level, but it will be damn useful I can tell you that! I mean we are taught what we need to know, but having done A Level Maths would be extremely handy for much of our course! I did Physics, and as much as I did not do very well at it at A Level, the background knowledge of it has proved extremely handy!!

Archived