Small Portable PA

Malcolm Gordon

Thank you for bringing the thread back to my original query. I would certainly listen to the Carlsbro first although, as Chris pointed out, with a 90-day money-back guarantee one can hardly go wrong.

I am waiting to speak to the person at the hotel that knows the equipment they have and the hire charge; the latter might mean that one's own kit might be paid for very quickly. As far as I can tell, speakers are not in general paid, so budgeting is quite tight.

I think audibility and intelligibility will be the criteria, hi-fi will not be important.

I'll report the outcome, if any, in due course.

Actually, I've seen quite a few hotels who, when asked, rent users something just like the Speakeasy rig. It's not always the Carlsbro but it does tend to be an "all in one" leturn/PA system.

They also (often) charge an arm and a leg for such a unit, so (at 12 speakers a year) if the Carlsbro does the job for you, investing in you own may be economic.

Bob

Hi there,

Something along the lines of the Carlsbro system is a product my MiPro, information on it can be found here. We've supplied a couple of these systems to people, one including a pub who wanted to announce when food was ready and they've found it to be ideal. Has very simple controls, can run on battery and is very portable and is available with either a Hand Held or Lapel radio mic.

It's more expensive than the Carlsbro as they retail for around £275 ex. VAT but the build quality and output from the MiPro units are pretty good.

Mipro all the way too, built in VHF mic receiver and compartment to store the mic, looks like a speaker but has amp, cd player, line in, speaker out, remote control, aforementioned built in radio mic and a couple of 2 AH batteries (and an IEC socket for external power) - brilliant (if a little tacky looking)

Archived