Snow

Ike

For an up and coming production we need lots of realistic snow. The snow is to cover most of the stage and must be able to be made into snow balls and thrown etc.

Obviously coshh and fire safety requirements are of up most importance especially due to the large quantities required. Cost is, for once, not a hugely important factor.

>Check out a product called Snowboys, from a company called Enterprises Unlimited Fx They do do Real Snow generators, not sure if you will be able to make snowballs out of them, may be worth checking though.

I would go the simple route. Use one of the snow generators (I think Rosco sells one). Generate the "snow" with it. Then have some weighted foam balls that are hidden behind stage props. The actor pretends to roll the snowball, then picks up the prepared item to throw.

Bill

Thanks everyone, the director wants the snow balls to be made on stage and wont accept any alternatives - I have absolutely no idea why.

I have however got plenty of ideas to be going on with.

the director wants the snow balls to be made on stage and wont accept any alternatives - I have absolutely no idea why.

Really ? I think we could make some suggestions :** laughs out loud **:

Has he even considered how much snow you're going to have to make? And how on earth is he expecting you to clear it from the stage and then dry the stage afterwards. :)

Has he even considered how much snow you're going to have to make? And how on earth is he expecting you to clear it from the stage and then dry the stage afterwards.

Its going to be used for a single short production and in limited quantities during rehearsals.

I'm assuming the clean up will be done during the get out which should (but probably wont) start at 11.30pm. One thing I am concerned about is the affect of the water on the very new and expensive sprung floor however the director/venue manager does not seem to share my concerns.

what is the average ambient temperature in the venue? how many kilowatts of light / heat will be added during the performance? anyone know the characteristics of snow when subjected to heat? anyone mentioned this to the director? "quote" "difficult we can do now... the impossible might take a bit longer". I agree with the poster above - make 'em out of cotton wool.

And how on earth is he expecting you to clear it from the stage and then dry the stage afterwards.

surely thats the easy part? Just turn on the x kilowatts of light mentioned below and let nature take it's course. The sprung floor will eventually dry out & then can be relaid if you can get the warps out of it!!!

Archived