Short Notice

Rich newby

Ok, I am in school now and about 10mins ago was asked to do some lighting for a fairly elaborate dance show. All operated from a frog. The rig is mainly pars and Robe 250xt's, with beta packs as dimmers. I have been watching them rig this in the school hall for a couple of days now, and though it was quite a nice sized rig, not too big, not too small. When they asked me to be the designer I instantly said yes. Kind of stupid I know saying my next question was when is it, that was replied my the answer 5pm :nerd: ! It turners out they had an external designer coming in and he had a double booking so had to cancel, I was then the first choice for the pupils. Have you ever herd short notice like that before!!?? Looks like thats my Friday night booked then!!

Rich

I had a load of parcans out on hire, for an Amateur show, and got a call out to the job around 8pm saying that the desk was broken and that nothing worked. This was on the second night of the show.

Turns out that I had gone along to a call out where the Audience were in, and I had to program up the desk there and then to get them a few different cues. I tried to tell them to use the presets but they weren't having any of it!! :nerd:

How on earth they managed on the first night of the show I don't know. Apparently the Matinee was ok though, as they opened the curtains and used the sunlight shining towards the stage.

I don't like those call outs.

It does happen. When charging for a gig, and they give short notice, it would certainly jack the price up, however, if it is (as I am assuming) one of those gigs where they say "thanks, want a cup of tea and a biscuit? it's the least we can do."

In that sort of situation, all you can really do is set up some basic states and busk.

Ok, I am in school now and about 10mins ago was asked to do some lighting for a fairly elaborate dance show. Rig is mainly pars and Robe 250xt's, ... my next question was when is it, that was replied my the answer 5pm

Rich

So, you found out at 1.10p.m. that you were lighting a show at 5.00p.m. with a mix of generics and MLs and yet your first thought was to post a topic on TBR? Are you mad?? :o

Why wasn't your first thought to get something in the board? Put some palettes into the Frog, plot some subs, try out some states, generally play with the rig to find out what it can do?

Blimey, the only thing I could have guaranteed if I'd been booked that late was that I certainly wouldn't have been posting to the Blue Room before the show! :D

Because I'm not allowed to skip any school lessons, everything had to be done between 2:40 and 5pm. Well It is all over and it generally went OK, a few hick ups but nothing serious.

Cheers

Rich

Because I'm not aloud to skip any school lessons

With good reason, it'd seem....

Yep, because learning how to balance p+cl2 is going to be very useful every day of life! :D

Oh and spelling changed!

Rich

Archived