Help me Please, 500 series won't record.

mikienorth

Hello everyone, I visit here cap in hand asking for a little help.

Part way through programming a show today the record button on the 550 I use stopped working. I have searched for topics about this but to no avail so it's time to ask.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Is it the button itself or something within the desk's menus that has made this stop. I tried clearing the show, and that didn't work. I have stopped short of attempting some sort of reset on the desk, save for turning it off and then back on.

Luckily I could still use a keyboard to record, after looking in the manual for the correct key presses to do this. This leads me to believe the button has given up mechanically, but I wondered if this had happened to anyone else, and if so is there something I am missing, or I can do quickly and easily tommorrow. I had a 60 cue show today and a 200 or so cue show to program by Wednesday.

Thankyou in advance everyone, I love days like this....

Mike

never heard of this happening before but sounds more like mechanical rather than software based as you were able to use a keyboard.

My suggestion would be that you ring strand first thing tomorrow an see what they suggest.

Let us know what the outcome is.

CHRIS

It does sound like the switch under the RECORED button has failed. You could try some switch cleaner in an aerosol can, but I'd speak to Strand before attempting this.

Depending on how you're programming, the RECORD-SUB key could be useful (records channels excluding HTP input from submasters). Alternatively program a macro (the "User" key perhaps?) which performs record.

Good luck with getting it fixed!

Regards,

Marc

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but open the desk up and just check the mounting, I can't remember how it is on a 550, but I have had it happen on other desks that the PCB behind the button has come loose.

On the GSX there is an option to test each button in the diagnostics menu, I think the 5x0 have the same

or plot a macro onto one of the sub bump buttons, it will get you through till you have time to get the problem fixed

Ok, this is the story so far.

I went into work yesterday to discover that not only is it the Record button that has given up, but there are 14 buttons not working on the keypads.

From Dimmer & FX, across the top two rows on the keypads up to FX type, FX Direction, FX time and FX Select?

I got on the phone to a hire company yesterday, as we had some minor kit issues with a rental, and asked them about it. They think, as first thought, that this is a mechanical failure, but gave me things to try in case the desk had lost a keymap, which sometimes happens. I tried a 220clean and a software downgrade, back to 2.8.5, as apparently 2.8.6 has been causing a few problems. Neither of these things worked so I am now trying to arrange the exchange of my desk for a rental one so it can be sent away for repair.

It looks, according to the advice I’ve got, like a track or line has been lost on the board, taking out a section of the keyboard matrix past it. Either way it is beyond my basic levels.

As suggested I have gone macro crazy, and have all 14 buttons covered by macros, but try as I might I could not figure out how to use the sub-bump buttons for this.

Anyway, thanks to those who posted here with advice, I’d never have come up with the macro solution myself, which as Keith at White Light North put it, got me “Out the brown” Thanks Keith, you helped me out a great deal, and expect a 550 sometime soon.

Go into the Submasters screen and set the bump mode to Mac for each of the subs whose button you want to use to fire a macro. Then program macros 101 onwards (sub number + 100) (or 301 onwards for shift+bump variations!) with your desired macros.

As to your fault - it does indeed sound as though there's a broken track on the front panel PCB somewhere, taking out a whole chunk of the keyboard 'matrix'.

don't know anything at all about this particular product, but many devices which have a matrix of switches will use some sort of scanning technique with horizontal and vertical busbars. Although a broken track or connection sounds likely, there will possibly be lots of diodes in this sort of circuit - one per switch. It could be that one of these has failed.

Archived