Wireless Microphone Batteries

frost

I use 4 Sennheiser evolution 100 series radio mics in a 100 seat youth theatre.

We currently use Duracell Plus batteries, but some times use Tesco long life batteries to save money during rehearsals, but always use Duracell for shows, which we change after every performance.

To the questions:

What batteries do you suggest to use, and how long do they last on average?

Also do the cheap batteries such as the Tesco Long life ones damage the microphones?

Thanks in advance

Toby

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to use Procell batteries...the professional version of Duracells. I can get them from a local distributor for considerably LESS than Tesco charge for Duracell. Although the typical life is enough to do two shows, I only do this for rehearsals and have a "new battery every show" policy for actual performances. I keep piles of half-used batteries for rehearsals or (if I build up a stock) give them to local schools etc.

You have to be a bit careful of using supermarket batteries. During an economy phase (before I could get a good price on the Procells) I did some experimenting and found the Safeway own-brand Alkaline battery lasted as well as Duracells and were around half the price, so used these. All was well for a year then suddenly I started losing mic channels mid show. The battery life was far worse. All I can assume is that the Supermarket found a cheaper source for their own brand stuff.

As for using "long life batteries", no, they won't damage anything. However, they won't last as long and are more likely to fail mid-show.

Bob

the standard blue varta alkaline gets about 8 hours use in a Shure U1 transmitter, or about 10 if you kill it for a bit during 'lunch hour' to let the batteries chill... looked at the red 'pro', but the extra cash not worth it....

Ever ready for me, I had horrible luck with the Duracells a few years back.

I would occasionally get one that would meter ok (on load), and run a pack for 20 minutes, then fail, most annoying.

This was PP3 style 9V stuff.

BTW: The procells are identical to the normal duracell except the packaging is different to reduce pilferage.

Regards, Dan.

We use procells - buying thru the corporate account we can get PP3s for about 75p each.

For "key" channels, it's one event per cell usually. For "less important" ones we may get 2 shows out of 1 cell - depends on the event, and also the mic - I generally know how long a cell will last in any of my units, and wouldn't go over 75-80% of that.

The exception is a couple of Micron 102s which I have, which take 2x pp3, and seem to last for ages!

"old" cells are recycled for rehearsals etc. Newer radio mics, which take AAs, are easier to recycle - the kids are always looking for AAs...

I tend to only use radio mics on amateur shows, and often the EW100s which I do like a lot. The batteries do last two shows reliably, so whoever is looking after the radios is organised up to manage the battery switch ons, offs, and changeovers without screwup. For an amateur show, going from battery-per-two-shows to battery-per-show would be a big increase in running costs.

In terms of what batteries, I dunno; we hire radios, we tell them how many batteries we need, and they supply them. They also supply a few boxes of part used batteries, which have done one professional show, so for rehearsals etc battery costs are zero.

Used to use Fuji 9V in our evo's but 7-day-shop.com seem to have stopped selling them. Gone back to Varta's now. We also have a AKG WMS400 in which takes AA's & have been experimenting with the Panasonic alkalines which seem to go 6hrs on 1 AA. Have yet to experiment with other brands in this.

Always use fresh alkalines for shows/gig's even if unsure how long the battery has been in there. Had a nasty experience with a non- alkaline that slipped through the net in the dark a few years back that died after 2 hrs. Most embarrassing having to swap to back up cabled mic mid speech.

Andi

I'm not a heavy pro user of wireless systems.

Have a few JTS 950 mics in church for which batteries last about 6 weeks at a go, and the remote battery metering allows us to change any that have batteries below peak level.

The really naff thing about batteries is that there is no performance measure you can look at when you're buying, and the big brands use that to make consumers assume that the branded product must be better as they advertise them as being so.

If every manufacturer had to put a maH rating on their batteries, comparisons would be much easier. There would still be variation, and the odd duff unit, but it would be much easier to tell what you were buying.

Seem to remember a Which report a few years ago that recommended that the Supermarket brands were typically as good as, or better than, the big brands.

I normally use GP Gold AA or PP3 depending on which radio kit goes out. Usually bung a pair of used cells in for rehearsals and leave the new ones for performance. I think a box of 40 works out at around £12 for AA and for 10 PP3 it's £13. Good enough value for me :)

I might get slated for this, but here goes.

for the last panto, I used the fischer amps rechargeable batteries from autograph. They had a huge capacity that didn't seem to drop off during the run, charged in about an hour, so I could charge them all up between shows ( no worries about using one set for two shows to fit in with budgets) and if I needed to replace the entire set, then for 16 radio mic's it would have been about £30.

the initial cost for the chargers (about £600 for 32 ways of charge ) is comparable with a few months of non-rechargeables, so after that you are saving money

The only downsides to them were that the caddie's don't always lock in properly and the signal for an incorrectly placed battery is the same as that for a fully charged one!

if using standard cells, then pro-cell. I was told that they underwent more stringent testing than the standard duracell, but that could have been a lie.

Seem to remember a Which report a few years ago that recommended that the Supermarket brands were typically as good as, or better than, the big brands.

Although this was probably for the benefit of people wanting batteries for their TV remote. Hardly performance-critical.

Archived