Bit too bassy!

Rich newby

Hi again,

I have finally got my sound system sorted, well so I thought! I can run sound through no problem, however I am in the final process of converting my stacks to Speakon. The one I have converted so far is trying to put almost all of the bass through the tops and only the really really low stomach rumbling bass through the subs. The rig is from amp to subs then from output of subs to tops. I am thinking its the crossover, however it seem suspicious that it is only a problem with the one I have converted to speakon, and yes they are wired 1+ and 1-. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Rich

Check your speaker leads,

there was a bad batch of speakons floating around that had the terminal numbering on the insert set up incorrectly!

(The dies had been put back into the moulding machine the wrong way around!).

There was a recall issued, but some got out.

Failing that, what happens if you turn the LF amp channel down to zero?

Regards, Dan.

I'm running through crossovers in my subs.

Rich,

How exactly are you wiring this?

I am assuming:

Full range signal from amp carried on Pins 1+/1- to NL4 on bass bin.

Pins 1+/1- wired to crossover, LF out goes to LF driver. Mid/HF out goes to a second NL4 connector (probably wired for Pins 1+/1-, but this could cause some confusion!)

Mid / top box has NL4 in on Pins 1+/1-.

Are you doing it this way, or some variation on it?

Simon

Ok, the subs were originally jack, so I converted the inputs to speakon so that the longer cable runs (amps to speaker) have a more substantial connectors, on the panel sockets I have wired them 1+/1-. I have left the top outputs on the subs and the inputs on the tops jacks. So basically it goes speakon from amp to speakon input on subs,jack hi-output on subs to jack input on tops.

Rich

so all you have done is replace a jack socket with a speakon wired -1/+1??

the only thing you coul have done is got the polarity wrong - this would do odd things with the bass, but I suspect you know that kind of sound, anyway?

yep, that was my exact first thought, so I swapped the polarity around and no change. I will double check all of my soldering, but it all appeared to be in tip top shape last time I checked.

Cheers

Rich

yep, that was my exact first thought, so I swapped the polarity around and no change. I will double check all of my soldering, but it all appeared to be in tip top shape last time I checked.

Cheers

Rich

I just wonder if possibly someone used a metal jack socket and possibly relied on the brushing to connect to the common point?

Stupid, but you never can tell, and it could possibly account for the symptoms.

Regards, Dan.

Archived