Gunshot wounds - Squibs

Rory

paint ball guns are nowhere near accurate enough, and the dyes in the balls WILL stain your retina and make you blind!

I think that's a bit of a PJ and Duncan thing. I'm sure you'd have a hard time convincing the LA to let you use one on stage, regardless of the accuracy

however if you also have an unlucky miss and it hits you in the eye, then you will be blind! (oh, and in extreme agony)

n my bad about hte whole dye thing, that damned biker grove epsiode still sticks in the mind!

re: the retina being at hte back of hte eye: precisely, and the eyeball is round, so the dye can get to it fairly easily! as anyone who's managed to lose a contact lens should be able to tell you

Just to add my 2p,

I have had my contacts get right to the edges of my eyes before, but never away behind my eyeball. Your eye socket is designed to protect your eyeball!

If you wanted to use a painball gun on stage you would have to accept the requirement of providing eye protection to everybody, audience and cast!

There are stories of even 'experienced' FX guys injuring actors with micro-dets....

I like the idea of the pin-ring and bloodbag myself, simple and effective.

re: the retina being at hte back of hte eye: precisely, and the eyeball is round, so the dye can get to it fairly easily! as anyone who's managed to lose a contact lens should be able to tell you

So working on your premise, going swimming allows chlorine to seep into the INSIDE of your eye. If a contact lens got to your retina you'd be in major trouble.

This thread is getting very daft - Shooting somebody on stage at close range with an air weapon to simulate a real gunshot is foolhardy in the extreme. I can't believe anybody is seriously considering this as a method. Ignoring the danger, it damn well hurts, and no actor is going to feel like being hurt ever night. The person who shoots would be guilty of causing actual bodily harm - even with permission (Regina v Anthony Brown).

If you need to be shot on stage, then a bag under the clothes, punctured by a sharp (mentioned way up the thread by Ellis) - easily hidden on a ring, for example works just fine. The actor quickly pulls their hand towards the bag, the sharp bursting it and the hand providing enough pressure to ensure it splatters nicely. A white T-shirt works amazingly well - very alien.

Check that whatever you use washes out. DO NOT, under any circumstances use any form of projectile weapon. To unpredictable and dangerous.

Can we please take care with suggestions here - the thread could be taken seriously by somebody who doesn't know any better.

paint ball guns are nowhere near accurate enough,

What if you were to miss, I'm not sure the stage manager who is absently minding his own business would like to be shot in the side of the head.

in short the idea of a piantball gun is deranged!

the old bag and pin trick I personally think is the safest and has the best effect.

HTH

AndyJones

Archived